cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Note for common printer problems
Customers receiving the"will damage your computer" message along with others like "unable to access cups/tmp" or "'@%' cannot be opened" need to update their version of the macOS. Please check this article for more information: HP Printers - A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing (macOS) .
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

ENVY 7134 printer forgets wifi connection, can't print

HP Recommended
ENVY 7134
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I an have a very frustarting issue. Our printer has been working absolutely fine but now it has real printing issues. After switch on it connects to the network fine and you can print, but after a short period the printer becomes unavaiable and you can't print. Frustratingly, when you are printing a longer document say 3 or 4 pages, it becomes immediately unavailable afterwards, so you can't print the next document in the queue. Likewise you can't printer after the print goes into sleep mode. The blue wireless icon is solid and the printer panel reports as being connectd and all the correct network settings. The on;y way to solve it is to turn it off and on again and hope it doesn't lose connection while printing. When I got this printer a few months ago, it worked fined, there has been no change to our router (a BT Smart Hub 2). As we do not have any windows machines, I can't do the diagnostics . Printing failes like this from all of our Macs and all of our iPhones. I ahve tried the virtual chat agent, which was not helpful, chnaged connction chanenls, limited connection to 5GHz rather than both 2.4 and 5GHz. One attention cam up that there was more than one access point with the same name.  I can't give the 2.4 and 5 GHz different names due to other requirements. The printer is less than 3 feet from the router.  have reinstalled the software, there are no firmware updates available. Given that the printer was working well before, I am inclined to think that it is now broken and I will somehow have to get a replacement printer.

I should add that there is also a high pitch sound like an old modem coming from it

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
15,250 15,228 1,196 1,195
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@DT66, Welcome to HP Support Community!

To be able to assist you better, I would like to know the following:

• Are the printer and PC connected to the same network?
  • Is your router dual-band enabled i.e., both 2.4GHz and 5GHz?
  • What is the distance between the router and the printer?
  • Is there any antivirus software installed on your computer?
  • Could you perform a ping test using the Mac Network Utility and let me know the results?

Use the printer IP address to perform a ping test, the printer IP can be located by selecting the wireless icon on the printer display.

The wireless status menu on your Mac should also give us quite a lot of information that would help us identify the issue. You can press and hold option-click the WiFi icon and then use shift-command-5 to take the screenshot. Press the space bar when the icon turns into a camera. Share the ping test results and the screenshot with us.

Also, check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'. 

Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records. The software comes built-in with Apple's macOS and iOS operating systems.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks. Please see answers belwo. Pleas enot that this behaviour happens on all 4 Macs and from phones. This is new and I didn't have this problem in the firts few months of ownership. We have not changed an yhardware

Are the printer and PC connected to the same network?      YES

• Is your router dual-band enabled i.e., both 2.4GHz and 5GHz?   YES and they must stay with the same name for our mesh to work
  • What is the distance between the router and the printer?    1metre
  • Is there any antivirus software installed on your computer? Yes, but the same happens when printing from phones or when antiviral is switched off
  • Could you perform a ping test using the Mac Network Utility and let me know the results? Note that I have put Xs in the IP address for security:
    • Ping has started…

PING 192.168.X.XX(192.168.X.XX): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 192.168.X.XX: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=61.215 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.X.XX: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=83.057 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.X.XX: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=106.819 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.X.XX: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=22.957 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.X.XX: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=43.797 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.X.XX: icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=65.059 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.X.XX: icmp_seq=6 ttl=64 time=1.411 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.X.XX: icmp_seq=7 ttl=64 time=107.317 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.X.XX: icmp_seq=8 ttl=64 time=28.402 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.X.XX: icmp_seq=9 ttl=64 time=52.145 ms

--- 192.168.X.XXping statistics ---
    10 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 1.411/57.218/107.317/33.226 ms

The wireless status menu on your Mac should also give us quite a lot of information that would help us identify the issue. You can press and hold option-click the WiFi icon and then use shift-command-5 to take the screenshot. Press the space bar when the icon turns into a camera. Share the ping test results and the screenshot with us. For security I have blacked out key numbers:

Screenshot 2020-10-22 at 10.20.26.png

Also, check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'. 

Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records. The software comes built-in with Apple's macOS and iOS operating systems. YES

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation