Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
Envy 5530 Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I can not get my printer to print from my ASUS laptop, windows 10 home edition.  it will scan.  the printer will print from 2 other laptops and 2 tablets.   i have uninstalled and re installed the driver, the entire software package and I have used the Scan doctor.  I don't get an error.    I have tried connecting wirelessly directly to the printer.   This does not work either.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi @Volksie,

I'd like to help with the printer connectivity issue.

Connect the printer to TCP/IP port

--->Touch on the wifi icon ((i)) on the printer, and take down the IP address 

a. Click Start/Devices and Printers.  Right-click on your HP Printer.  Select Printer Properties.  Select the Ports tab at the top.

b.    Select Add Port.  Select Standard TCP/IP Port.  Select New Port.

c.    Follow the Add Port Wizard.  Under Printer Name or IP Address, .  Example:  192.168.1.15.  The IP address will be copied under Port Name.  

d.    Select Next and Finish the Wizard.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Changing the port to the IP address did not work.   I have also tried to direct connect and that also does not work.   Here is something I find weird.   The software “thinks” it has correctly printed the test page.   When I select “print test page” and open the queue, the document is listed, then prints.  It does not get an error message.   Another strange piece of the puzzle.   If you run scan doctor and print the diagnostic test page, that darn thing WILL print.   I am at a loss now.   Thanks for your help.  Anything else you can think of I will try!

volksie

HP Recommended

Let's try and uninstall the printer software from the root level on your PC and install the full feature printer software.

--->In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.

--->Select your HP printer.

--->Select Uninstall.

--->In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.

--->In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”

--->Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.

--->Type printui.exe /s and click OK.

--->Click on the Drivers tab.

--->Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click remove at the bottom.

--->Select OK.

--->Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.

--->Close Devices and Printers.

And then reinstall the printer full-featured drivers from software and drivers page 

Keep me posted!

HP Recommended

I had my fingers crossed.  I ran through all of that.   Learned a new tool in that.    I was hopeful.   Ran into a snag.  It would not delete the driver.   Said it was In use.   I restarted my laptop and it deleted successfully on the second try.   Same as before, it seems to connect to the printer and it thinks it has printed the test page but it does not print.   Got any more tricks up your sleeve?  I’ll be happy to try!   Thanks

HP Recommended

I can still scan a document.

HP Recommended

Let's try and uninstall the printer software from the root level on your PC and install the full feature printer software.

First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.

• Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP printer entries and uninstall them.
    • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
    • Restart your computer.
    • Click the bottom-left Start button on desktop, type device manager in the search box and tap Device Manager on the menu.
    • Once in device manager, click on the view tab in the top & choose “Show hidden devices”.
    • Then from the device manager list, check the entries under “Printer” – If there are any entries, please right click and choose “uninstall” – In the confirm device un-install pop-up, make sure you select the box which says “Delete the driver software for this device". 
    • Also, check the entries under "printer queue" and "imaging devices" and repeat the same exercise. Delete any printer entry or any entry which says “Unknown device”.
    • Once done, close device-manger. Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.
    • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
    • Again, go running window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
    • Once done you can try cleaning out your temporary files and cached files. You can try using automated applications like some cleaner software's that you can download from the internet.
    • Now restart your computer again.
    • Open the Run window again, type “services.msc” and press ok to get services window.
    • Scroll down to “Remote Procedure Call (RPC)” – right-click and go to properties. Make sure the service is started and startup type is “Automatic”.
    • Now scroll up and go to “Function Discovery Provider Host” – right-click and select properties – Change the startup type to “manual” and start the service.
    • Repeat the same exercise on “Function Discovery Resource Publication” as well
    • Windows image acquisition stop and restart the service

Install all the available Windows updates

• If it is been a while since you updated your Windows, that is the main reason why Windows says your HP printer driver is unavailable. Here are the steps how to do a Windows Update to install all accessible operating system update.

If you are accessing Windows 10, then these steps are for you.

• Hit the Start menu and write an update. After that, click on the “Check for updates” option.
  • Tap on the “Check for updates” option.
  • After clicking on that option, Windows will install the updates automatically.
  • When Windows completes all its updates, start your computer again and attempt to print a file to check if your printer works.

Reinstall the drivers from software and drivers page 

Keep me posted!

HP Recommended

Thanks for sticking with me on this.  I turned off the firewall and my virus scanner.  I accomplished everything on the instructions.   I always end up at the same place.  The printer is turned on, the wifi is connected.  but the software install can not find the printer.   The printer is on ip address 192.168.1.30 .   The install asks for that so I type it in.  I get a SSID "unable to Retreive" when I tell it to retry.    I even tried going back and doing a direct connect to the printer.  That doesnt work either.    Any more ideas?

Thanks

HP Recommended

I would like to know, is your router set to work on 2.4 GHz network or 5 GHz network band?

Are you trying to connect your printer to your home network or public network ?

Let me know!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.   I am on an home network.   It has a 2.4 GHZ band and a 5GHZ band.  

I logged in to my router.   the printer is connected to the 2.4 band and the ip is listed as 192.168.1.30.   

For the heck of it I am going to reset my router.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.