Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 5255
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

My HP 5255 doesn't stay connected to my computer.  Each time I want to SCAN I have to reset using HP123.  The message window directs me to HP123 tp get software.  Restarting the printer does not fix this.

Printing is better but not as expected.  It often searches for the printer for a few minutes but finally prints.  Sometimes I can speed up the process by restarting the printer. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@deejaym

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

As the printer is working fine from other Mac, it means this is not an issue with the printer. Let us try these steps:

• Make sure the printer and the Mac are connected to the same wireless network. Either 2.4 or 5GHz network.
  • If you have a Dual-band router and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same name/SSID, the printer will not be able to connect to the network. In this case, contact your Internet service provider to assign different names to both the networks.
  • Also, check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'.
  • Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records. The software comes built-in with Apple's macOS and iOS operating systems.

Update the printer firmware

Click here to download and install the latest printer firmware from your Mac.

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Also, check for any software updates on Mac

Click the Apple icon > About This Mac > Software Update and install any available update.

Perform a ping test to check the connectivity

1. Obtain the IP address of the printer by clicking on the Wireless icon on the printer
  2. Open a new Terminal window (it's located in Applications > Utilities, or you can just start typing it in Spotlight).
  3. Enter “ping” followed by the IP address of the printer. 
  4. Press Return. Press ctrl C after 10 pings
  5. There should be 0% packet loss, share the results in your next post.

Use the AirPrint option and check if that helps to print as shown in this document - Printing with Apple AirPrint (Mac)

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you.  I just found your reply in spam.  At first glance this looks like a daunting task but your explanation seems clear.  I will try to follow the steps you list and let you know the outcome in a day or so. 

HP Recommended

@deejaym

Yes, you can try these steps at your leisure and let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.