Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 8040
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Instant Ink advised me that they were no longer supporting my HP Officejet 8040  printer, so I cancelled my account with them.  Suddenly, my printer would no longer print and I discovered that it was because I still had instant ink cartridges in my printer.  So I bought new HP print cartridges and printer works again BUT,  before it does I always have to clear a message about connecting to instant ink to update status. 

I'm not happy about how this whole thing happened.  First, when you decided not to support my printer with instant ink but didn't tell me that if I cancelled my account that my printer wouldn't print anymore until I replace the ink cartridges.  Now, I have this continuous reminder of what the instant ink program did to me.  

Could someone please tell me how to get rid of this nagging must connect to update instant ink status message before a print job will run?  I'm running a desktop PC with Win 10 64 bit.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@jnew2k, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Disable web services on the printer and try printing.

Click here to know how to turn off web services.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The instructions for turning off webservices didn't match up very well with my Officejet 8040, but I searched everywhere that there was anything about webservices and disabled / turned them off.  Unfortunately, I still get the dialog that I have to clear about instant ink status before anything will print.

I tried going back and activating my instant ink account again, but it won't let me because my printer is no longer supported.  I seem to be caught in a loop that just ruins my printer from a user standpoint.  

Is there anything else I can try?  This is really annoying, and a continual reminder of HP doing this to me.  Why are they not supporting my printer anymore.  The cartridges I use seem to still be readily available and used by many.  Is it just to encourage me to buy another printer?

HP Recommended

@jnew2k

To assist you better, we would need some information related to your Instant Ink Subscription. This information cannot be shared on a public post.

I have sent you a private message, reply to the message with your details.

In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Community profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I also have a 8040 that is no longer supported by HP,  My Instant Ink subscription is canceled and I have installed non-instant ink cartridges. I've disabled Web Services on the printer but now get a popup window every time I print. Help!!!

Please Connect Your Printer To HP Connected

Your Printer needs to be connected to update its HP Instant Ink Status.

HP Recommended

This is way too complicated. I just want to print documents. I think this unit is a boat anchor and not a good one at that.

HP Recommended

HP has ended support, fine now my printer is a poor boat achor.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.