Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 4500 e-All-in-One
Other

So I have HP ENVY 4500 e-All-in-One with latest firmware, and a MacBook Air 2013 MAC OS 11.0.1 for testing firewall was turned off.

Normal IP printing works fine over WiFi, on same network 192.168.0.z.  Scanning is the problem I am having.

I was using HP EasyScan 1.10.0 successfully before upgrading to Big Sur. Since upgrading MAC I have tried: 

• HP EasyScan 1.10.0 over WiFi now stalls with msg 'Preparing to Scan', (I can successfully browse to 4500).
  • HP EasyScan 1.10.0 over USB now stalls with msg 'Connecting to HP ENVY 4500 series ...' (It recognises device plugged in)
  • HP Smart 5.7.1 over WiFi, fails 'We couldn't find a printer', same msg even if I enter the IP address.
  • HP Smart 5.7.1 over USB, Scan works, but USB is inconvenient.
  • HP WebScan over WiFi works, but 4500 can't batch pages.
  • Works as a Web-connected printer.

Functionality I need is for WiFi and batch page jobs; so EasyScan or HP Smart to work over WiFi.

Any advice please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Remove and add the printer

Click the Apple menu, and then select System Preferences.

Depending on your operating system version, click Print & Fax, Print & Scan, or Printers & Scanners.

Click the name of your printer, click the Minus sign and then delete the printer.

Click the Plus sign and then click Add Printer or Scanner.

Click the Use or Print Using box, and then select AirPrint

Click Add to add the printer to the list.

Try to print.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@headbanging

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Scan with Apple Image Capture 

  

Apple Image Capture comes with macOS and OS X and provides a quick and simple way to scan. 

1. Place the document or photo print side down on the scanner glass, and then close the scanner lid. 

If your printer has an automatic document feeder (ADF), use it to scan multiple page documents at one time. 

1. Open Finder  

, and then click Go in the top menu bar. 

1. Click Applications, and then double-click Image Capture. 

2. Click your printer name in the Devices or Shared list. 

3. Click Show Details at the bottom of the screen. 

A preview of the scan displays, and then change any of the following settings: 

• Scan Mode: Select the scanning bed or automatic document feeder. 

• Kind: Set scan as color, black and white, or optimized for text only documents. 

• Resolution: Higher resolution produces better quality images by using more dots (pixels) per inch. Higher resolution increases the file size of the scan. Use a higher resolution for scans with graphics or items that require the best detail. If you are scanning black and white text, higher resolution is not necessary. 

• Size: Use a standard paper size or select the Use Custom Size option. 

• Scan to: Select the folder you want scans to save to or use the Mail option to attach the scan to an Apple Mail email message. 

• Name: Type a name for the saved scan file. 

• Format: Select the file type for the scan. 

NOTE:   

To save multiple page documents or multiple images into a single file, select the PDF or TIFF format, and then select the box next to Combine into single document. This feature is only available with these formats. 

• Image Correction: Click the pop-up menu, and then select Manual to display color change options such as brightness and saturation. 

1. Click Scan. 

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

well got some very strange results with Apple Image Capture.  I had tried earlier but just did not work, but couldn't remember the result, so this it.

Turned off Firewall.

Tried over WiFi...

Selected 'SHARED'

.. Select HP ENVY 4500

.. responds for 1second with Waiting for Scanner.  Then says 'no Camera or Scanner Detected.'

--------

Then plugged in USB cable

Selected 'DEVICES'

.. Select HP ENVY 4500

.. responds for 1second with nothing in window.  Then says no Camera of Scanner Detected.

Selected 'SHARED'

.. Select HP ENVY 4500

.. responds for 1second with 'Waiting for Scanner.'  Then 'Scanner is warming up.' and can use function, as it should do.

------

Then unplugged USB cable, and cannot use SHARED / WiFi Scanner.

This is so strange...

Image Capture works with a USB cable but selecting the SHARED Wifi HP Envy 4500.  Its bizarre, but still does not meet my need for scanning batch pages over WiFi.

HP Recommended

@Betty0610  see above.

plus also I should have mentioned, I have tried both wifi via router and the HP 'Wireless direct'

HP Recommended

Remove and add the printer

Click the Apple menu, and then select System Preferences.

Depending on your operating system version, click Print & Fax, Print & Scan, or Printers & Scanners.

Click the name of your printer, click the Minus sign and then delete the printer.

Click the Plus sign and then click Add Printer or Scanner.

Click the Use or Print Using box, and then select AirPrint

Click Add to add the printer to the list.

Try to print.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Betty0610

executed the HP Uninstaller.  EasyScan and Image Capture now works with WiFi; HP Smart does not over WiFi, however I now have got what I need.

HP Recommended

I'm glad to hear that. Do get back to us in the future for further assistance.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.