Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 7855
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've had this ENVY 7855 for about 5 weeks. It worked fine for the first month. Over the last several days it is constantly going "offline".  

I've run the HP Print and Scan Diagnostic program multiple times. It says it fixed the problem, the printer works once or twice, and then it goes offline again. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the printer, and it worked for a couple hours and went offline again.  Now it's not just  when it is printing that it's a problem. Yesterday I was just making a copy and it stopped right in the middle of the page and just froze. I had to turn it off and back on to get it to release the page from the document feeder. Just now I got an "out of paper" message, but their is plenty of paper in it.

In searching the forum I see that this is a problem for a lot of users. Is there a solution???? I spent over $200 for this printer and it's only worked for a month. VERY FRUSTRATING. Here are some facts about my system:

To answer your questions:

1. I'm using it with a Windows 10 ver 2004 system.
  2. From the network settings print out from the printer, it appears that my router has both 5G and 2.4G capability. The printer network report says it is connected to the 5G .
  3. It's a secure home network. 
  4. The wireless light on the printer is on and solid. I've never seen it blinking except when first turned on.
  5. The router is @ 20 - 25ft away. It's always been there and I haven't had any problems with any other of our devices connecting to it in our home office, or anywhere else in the house. The printer network status says the signal is strong. 

I hope you can help. I'm am getting extremely frustrated with it. I have a project that needs to be done this week and every time I try to print or scan I spend an inordinate amount of time just trying to get the printer to operate. I've not had this kind of problem with any of our previous printers, with included 2 HPs and an Epson. 

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@KyGirl57 

Some places to check / adjust...

Run this version of the Doctor:

Offline Doctor V5.0.6

HPPSdr_5.0.6.exe

Edits - Path to 5.0.6 seems not to be available

Try

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/patches/HPPSdr.exe

• Download and Save the doctor to your computer
  • Open File Explorer > Navigate to the folder in which you saved the file (likely Downloads)
  • Execute the doctor – Answer any prompts /  let the process complete
  • Restart the computer, log in, and wait for the final steps in the Doctor to finish.
  • Check for any difference.

Original Notes – Contributed by ShlomiL

Paraphrased

Connection Issues

• Print and Scan Doctor Version 5.0.6 creates a secondary queue for printing with TCP/IP port.

After the Offline Doctor completes…

Verify / Adjust the “Default” printing device (Default Printer)

Settings > Devices > Printers and scanners

UNCHECK (clear box) Let Windows manage my default printer

Select (Left-Click) your printer from the list of printers > Manage > Set as Default

OR

Open Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers > Right-Click on printer > Set printer as Default

NOTES – Selecting Default Printer 

1. Do not select the printer marked as “Scan Only / DO NOT DELETE”
  2. Do not select the printer marked as “Fax”

Example Default Printer:  Set “Default” Printer = HP OfficeJet Pro 9020 series PCL-3 (Net)

ReferenceHP Printers - Printer is Offline (Windows) > Step 2: Manually set the default printer

=======================================================================

On the router, create / set separate SSID network names for each bandwidth.

The Wireless password for both networks can be the same.

Connect the printer to the SSID network you want to use.

Example

SSID_Dual_Band_Example_1SSID_Dual_Band_Example_1Network_SSID_Names_1Network_SSID_Names_1

=========================================================================

Change the Connection type

Method - Create TCP IP port

** Install – Optional - Port Issues - Create a TCP/IP port **

TCP/IP can resolve odd connection, scanning, and installation problems.

Create / Switch to a TCP/IP Port to facilitate communication and prevent ‘offline’ issues

How-to “Create TCP Port” Contributed by  greenturtle:

1. 1. Print a Configuration Page to get the printer's IPv4 address (you can also tap on the wireless icon on the Front panel of your Printer to get the IP address)
    2. On your PC, go to Control Panel, from Devices and Printers, Right-Click the printer and Left-Click Printer Properties, select the Ports tab.
    3. Click Add Port, select Standard TCP/IP Port, then select New Port and follow the wizard.
    4. Type in the proper IP address for the printer.

This video resource will show you how to do it:
    Create & Use TCP IP port

Note that you can ALWAYS revert back to the original port that the HP software installed by selecting the HP port within the Ports tab (in Printer Properties)

=========================================================================

Assign a manual / static IP address for the printer

Printing Center > Common Questions > Connection Issues

Section: Improve Wireless communication by setting a manual (static) IP address

Example - Embedded Web Server (EWS)

If applicable:

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

Tab Network > Wireless  (802.11) > Wireless Band Frequency

and / or

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

Tab Network > Wireless (802.11) > IPv4 Configuration

And

Tab Network > Wireless (802.11) > Advanced

Example

EWS_9025_Network_Wired_IPv4_Static-Manual_IP_1EWS_9025_Network_Wired_IPv4_Static-Manual_IP_1

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP ENVY Photo 7855 All-in-One Printer 

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

WOW Dragon Fur!  I appreciate all the input and that you are trying to help. But, that's a lot of messing around with the system! I shouldn't have to be an IT expert to make a printer work! I've never had any issues setting up a printer in the past (over 20+ years and multiple printers). And this one worked fine for @ a month so it seems like having to manually change a bunch of settings on the computer and router shouldn't be needed. I'll try to work my way through your recommendations and see what happens, but it will probably be much faster and less frustrating to just go by a competitor's printer and give up on HP. 

HP Recommended

@KyGirl57 

You are welcome.

"But"...

So, pick just one and do that.

I would guess, if you don't want to make manual changes, the choice is to run the "Off Line" version of the doctor.

It might be enough all on its own.

Yeah, but...

Yes, you can choose a different printer.

Offline doctor won't work on not-HP printers - the other suggestions are not so "brand specific" except perhaps in the exact method used to adjust the connection / setup.

OK.

Good Luck.

Stay Safe.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community .

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I clicked on the link in your reply for the Offline Doctor and just got a blank page? The HP  Print and Scan Doctor version I've been using is 5.0.7. f

HP Recommended

@KyGirl57 

You are right - I cannot find the older version anymore.

The "version" is now pointing to 5.0.7

So - not available.

What?  At the moment, no idea - "something" has changed - we don't have any control over the vault entries.

Try Changing the connection type to TCP/IP.

This is actually one of the internal checks that the "old" Doctor would do.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

OK, I"ll try that tomorrow. I've had enough for today. Thanks for the assistance!

HP Recommended

@KyGirl57 

You are welcome.

The "three things to try" was actually intended to simplify by giving choices up front.

Meh.  Best-laid-plans and all that.

Stay Safe...

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I've experienced the same issue with my likewise new printer.  It worked fine for a couple of weeks and then I started having issues - printer showing offline though front panel showed otherwise.  I've done some troubleshooting - first thinking the update toasted the network stack - and found my shortest path was going wired.

My router is 2.4/5g, separate ssids.  Thus far I've tried both, and each will result in a DHCP-delivered IP which is a) ping-able and b) capable of connecting to EWS for a short period of time.  5-10 minutes in the printer "loses" its network awareness - no ping, now connect, nothing.  Time to pull out the network analyzer to see what's different between wired and wireless packets

HP Recommended

So definitely some interaction between the printer & router - wired and wireless clients are able to discover the device when it is on ethernet 😣 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.