cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status..
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

HP LaserJet MFP M28w printer/ NVRAM reset/ Embedded Web Server admin password reset

HP Recommended
HP LaserJet MFP M28w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Greetings,

Situation: I forgot the admin password of my printer and I am unable to log in to the HP Embedded Web Server (EWS). I know the printer's IP address and can view contents in Home, Networking, and Copy tabs. I am unable to access the System tabs because I can not log in.

Debugging already performed: I have already performed the reset steps/instructions provided in the section "Restore the factory-set defaults" (page 60, Chapter 9 Solving Problems of the User Manual available at http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05847830) to no avail. 

Request: May I know how to reset the admin password on the HP LaserJet MFP M28w printer?  It seems that NVRAM on the printer will need to be reset in order to bring it back to the factory settings. Will you please provide the instructions to do so?

Solution: I found three ways to perform NVRAM reset. I am posting below for the public benefit. Please perform the following tasks at your own risk (disclaimer).

Start with method 1, if that does not solve the problem, try method 2. If that does not solve the problem, try method 3. Please make sure that the printer is powered and connected to the power supply while performing these methods. Power removal during the process may result in problems not limiting to firmware corruption, etc.

Method 1

Method 2

Method 3

For Fun: what do various error messages and blinky lights on the printer's display mean?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-laserjet-pro-mfp-m28-m31-printer-series/16647082/model/16647...

Thanks much,

adotahuja

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation