Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP8600
macOS 10.14 Mojave

HP8600 Officejet printer

I've had it for about 7 years. It just stopped connecting to home wifi and will not reconnect (I've tried everything). I was told by HP the firmware is expired and I could no longer use it as a printer. Has this happened to anyone else? 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@terpdaves

I reviewed your post and I understand that the printer is not connecting to your wireless network.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

Below is the latest firmware available for your printer.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/ojp8600/OJP8600_N911g-n_1829A.dmg

I'd like to know the following to isolate the issue further-

1.) Are the printer and Mac connected to the same network?

2.) Is your router dual-band enabled i.e., both 2.4GHz and 5GHz? If yes, make sure the dual band has different SSIDs for 2.4G and 5G networks.

3.) What is the distance between the router and the printer?

4.) Is there an antivirus software installed on your Mac?

5.) Could you perform a ping test using the Mac Network Utility and let me know the results? Use the printer IP address to perform a ping test, the printer IP can be located by selecting the wireless icon on the printer display.

The wireless status menu on your Mac should also give us quite a lot of information that would help us identify the issue. You can press and hold option-click the WiFi icon and then use shift-command-5 to take the screenshot. Press the space bar when the icon turns into a camera. Share the ping test results and the screenshot with us.

Also, check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'.  Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records. The software comes built-in with Apple's macOS and iOS operating systems. 

Look forward to hearing from you and you have a great day!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Responding to The_Fossette questions..

1-yes

2-yes

3-it has not changed since the printer was working for years, but it's about 30 feet

4-no

5-don't know how to do this..I see no IP address on the HP8600 panel. It simply says 'No Link'

HP Recommended

@terpdaves

You can print the network configuration page from the printer to get the printer IP address and you will also get to know whether the printer is getting a valid IP address.

Also, the printer supports only 2.4GHz band so make sure that the printer and the computer are connected to the same band and test.

Let me know how it goes.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My Office Jet Pro 8600 printer also lost wireless WI-Fi connection just two days ago.  I've tried everything and I cannot get it to reconnect.  Something about my having to add this printer to my router's approved devices.  It's run perfectly since I bought it about 6-7 years ago.

HP Recommended

How can that be true?  HP is telling you the printer you bought no longer can be used as a printer?  If that is the case then all of the similar complaints, that the printer will not connect to WIFI, including mine, mean the devices are scrap.  Then why are HP engineers still providing potential solutions to the problem.  Something isn't right here.

HP Recommended

@bamartin06

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Let's restore the network settings on the Printer:

Touch (right arrow), touch Setup, and then touch Network. Touch Restore Network Defaults, and then select Yes. A message appears stating that the network defaults have been restored.

Once done connect the printer to the Wi-Fi: On the printer control panel, touch (right arrow), touch Setup, and then touch Network. Touch Wireless, touch Wireless Setup Wizard, and then touch OK.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.