Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP8710
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I have an interesting problem.   A friend changed his WIFI SSID and password.   He went to the printer and went through the Wizard connecting the printer to the new SSIS/password..   He found the SSID in the listing, selected it, entered the WiFi password.

The printer came back "successful connected"

For some reason the printer won't print, Communication error.   Logging into the modem/router shows the printer connected.

Using the HP app on his iPhone it shows it there.  However he gets a communications error

when he tries to print from his cell phone, and 2 laptops in his home which all worked for printing

prior to changing the SSID/password

Plenty of WiFI signal.

Now if the printer states its connected and the WiFi indicator is not flashing that I believe is suppose to mean

the printer is connected.  Besides, it shows up with the same IP address shown on the printer as well as in his modem/router.

Tried all the usual stuff, power cycle everything including modem/router, printer.   Nothing work.

This is the mystery.  I told him to return to his old SSID/password and try it.

He did, then used to HP8710 wizard to connect to his WiFi of his modem/router.  Gets the same "connection successful"

message.   Now it works.  I can't even blame him for entering the wrong WiFi password because he got the "connected"

reply after changing his SSID/password

What might cause this.   The only reason I told him to return to his old SSID was because it was shorter and simpler.

Would the length of the SSID/password or combo of letters/numbers have any reason why the printer would connect but not print?

I have read that Raspberry Pi boards WiFi connections have had problems with certain SSID/password.  That made me think to have him try it.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi Ken,

May the new SSID contain special characters? and how it is length? it is possible to be too complex in length for the printer capabilities, as well some special characters may cause strange behaviors.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.