Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
ColorLaserJet M254
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am beyond frustrated with my HP LaserJet Printer. It is perpetually going offline. It has been a problem since the very beginning. The virtual assistant has been useless; the diagnostic tools have been useless, and every time I've found a thread in the forms that says "Solution Found!", I've hoped beyond hope that finally, here is the solution I've been looking for. Yet, if it has ever helped, it has helped only momentarily. I've lost count of how many times I've uninstalled and reinstalled the printer on my computer, or reset the printer, and then reconnected everything again. It will work for just a short time, and then I'll have to try again. 

Let me just iterate the fundamentals: my printer is DEFINITELY connected to the router and to the same wireless network as is my computer, as is my smart TV and my iPhone. The problem is not with the router or my wireless network. It is absolutely maddening to see the icon of the printer on my computer, and to see on the printer itself that the printer itself is connected to my wireless network, and then get the oh-so-frustrating "OFFLINE" status in the control panel. What is the point of such a frustrating product as this? Why hasn't HP conquered what seems to be such a ubiquitous problem by providing some sort of forced "wake up call" to the printer to go "back online" again? I am ready to throw this printer to the curb, and take up again the long neglected skill of caligraphy. My documents would never go offline again, and I'd live a life free of the perpetual desire to curse HP under my breath everytime I attempt to put ink to paper. 

Please, please, for the love of all that is sacred in the world, HP, get this fixed! The last post I found in the forums that had this same problem showed that 77,000 other people also looked at the post, one of many threads dedicated to the problem of printers going offline. This is a sign of abject failure on the part of HP to provide a reliable service to its customers that so many thousands of people are researching the same question. Why have you not solved the problem with some sort of finality?  I am reminded of the recent quarter page ad that was taken out in the Wall Street Journal of an open letter by a disgruntled customer of AT&T who was disatisfied with the speed of his internet service. Is something like this required to motivate HP to create a diagnostic and repair tool that actually works to bring an HP online again? The only solution I've ever been able to successfully accomplish the tak has been to uninstall the printer, and just start again. It's beginning to feel like I'm an extra in Bill Murray's Groundhog Day movie. 

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

I have a similar problem.  I have spent 5 hours over 2 days trying to get my new printer to print from my computer.  I've done everything---watched every video, tried to talk to the useless virtual assistant, I've done troubleshooting----NOTHING.  I can't get my computer and printer to connect wirelessly even though the information says the two are connected.

I'm seriously ready to throw this new printer away and go find a wired printer.

This is ridiculous.

AND---HP---YOU NEED TO HAVE LIVE HELP.  The virtual assistant is USELESS!

HP Recommended

Same wifi offline stat issue here... But how do you connect a live agent?

HP Recommended

Do any employees of HP actually monitor these forums? 

HP Recommended

Hi @PleasePrint3, 

I'd like to help with the printer connectivity issue.

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor to check connectivity

Download a special version of HP Print and Scan Doctor specifically created to help with printer offline conditions.

1. Download HP Print and Scan Doctor.
  2. Run HPPSdr.exe from the download location on your computer.
  3. Once HP Print and Scan Doctor opens, click Start, and then select your printer.
    • If your printer in not in the list, turn it off and on, and then click Retry.
    • If there is a connection problem, follow the instructions in HP Print and Scan Doctor.
  4. If a screen prompts you to turn on printer updates, click Yes.
  5. If a screen prompts you to make your printer the default printer, click Yes.

Set a manual IP-

To set a manual IP and try the steps below -

--->Touch on the wifi icon ((i)) on the printer, and take down the IP address 

--->Open a web browser (ex Chrome or Mozilla) and type in the printer's IP

1. Select the "Networking" tab from the HP configuration screen
  2. Click "Network Settings" on the left side of the screen.
  3. Select the "TCP/IP" tab.
  4. -network protocols ---> select IPV4 only or turn IPV6 off-->apply 
  5. Click the drop-down menu under "IP Configuration Method" and select "Manual."
  6. Enter a new IP address in the box that appears
  7. Click "Apply" at the bottom of the screen

Connect the printer to TCP/IP port

--->Touch on the wifi icon ((i)) on the printer, and take down the IP address 

a. Click Start/Devices and Printers.  Right-click on your HP Printer.  Select Printer Properties.  Select the Ports tab at the top.

b.    Select Add Port.  Select Standard TCP/IP Port.  Select New Port.

c.    Follow the Add Port Wizard.  Under Printer Name or IP Address, .  Example:  192.168.1.15.  The IP address will be copied under Port Name.  

d.    Select Next and Finish the Wizard.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping 

HP Recommended

Hi @Karenak3, @Redmamabug,

I'd like to help!

May I have the exact model name of the product? Refer to this document for steps to find the product details. Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Thank you for the response. 

But as I said in my initial post, I have attempted every fix that I've found here on the forums, including the one you just described. It was a very long and frustrating process, and I did finally get the printer back online. But that happy state of existence lasted for only one day. Then my printer was inexplicably "offline" again, with nothing that worked. Except, presumably to do the same exact thing I did the day before. 

What I'm looking for is a permanent solution that doesn't require an hour and a half to execute each day. This is clearly an issue that many, many people are having, based on a perusal of these forums. There must be a solution to this problem that is permanent. 

HP Recommended

My printer is the LaserJet M254dw. 

HP Recommended

To add to the frustration, even though my printer shows that it is connected to my network, and the icon for wireless connectivity shows that it is indeed connected to my network, when I attempt to see what printers my computer is recognizing, it actually recognizes my neighbor's HP printer! But not the one in the same room as my computer, the one I own...and used for about a day before it "went offline" again. And to reiterate, before posting this thread, I dug very deep into the forums to find a solution, and though I went through all of the steps outlined above, using the troubleshooting program from HP, and doing all of that business with the ports and manual entry and the like, I had success...for a day. Then my printer went "offline" again. So remarkably frustrating.  

HP Recommended

I understand that this has been an issue, let's try and add the printer and check that changes the situation.

Install the built-in print driver over a network connection with Windows 10 or Windows 8.

1. In Windows, search for and open Control Panel.

2. Click Devices and Printers, and then click Add a printer.

Clicking Add a printer

3. On the Choose a device or printer to add to this PC window, select your printer, click Next, and then follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver. If your printer is not in the list, continue with these steps.

Example of printers found in the Choose a device or printer to this PC window

4. Click The printer I want isn't listed, and then select Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings.

Selecting Add a printer using local or network printer with manual settings

5. Click Next.

6. Select the port to be used by your printer, such as USB001 for a USB connected printer, and then click Next.

7. Click Windows Update, and then wait for the print drivers to update.

8. Click HP, Hewlett-Packard, or Hewlett Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers pane.

• If your printer is in the list, select it, click Next, and then follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver.

• If your printer is not in the list, click the back arrow in the upper left corner of the window two times to return to the Find a printer by other options step, and then continue with these steps.

9. Select Add a printer using TCP/IP address or hostname, and then click Next.

Selecting Add a printer using TCP/IP address or hostname

10. Select Autodetect from the Device type drop-down list.

11. Type your printer IP address into the text box, and then click Next.

To find the printer IP address, print a Wireless Network Test report or a Network Configuration page.

12. Wait for the computer to connect to the printer, and then click Next to install the print driver.

Keep me posted!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.