Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
M102W
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I am trying to connect an M102W laser jet pro to a dual node Linksys Velop AX4200 Wi-Fi router. Install fails with the message that the printer is on a different network than the notebook. Having done some research, I understand the printer is 2.4 ghz only. I can probably succeed if I were to name my 2.4 ghz network with a different ssid as the 5 ghz network. This is not ideal. This configuration would mean that all of my other devices would no longer be able to auto select the best band as they move sound the house, as they do now. In this day and age it would seem that the “newish” M102W should be able to join my dual band network and simply attach to the band that it supports. My Sonos speakers, Nest thermostat, Logitech Harmony hub, each only supports 2.4ghz yet the connect successfully to my dual band network. The HP M102W  appears to join the network but then complains about not supporting 5ghz. Am I missing something here? Thanks for any and all input. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@HiFi-ve

Welcome to HP Support Community

I would like to help

If you have a Dual-band router and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same name/SSID, then the printer will not be able to connect to the network. In this case, contact your Internet service provider to assign different names to both the networks, then you can connect the printer to the 2.4 GHz Network.

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate the engagement. I am able to split the two bands on my router and assign ssid’ s on my own. As I mentioned in my original post, I prefer not to do this as this configuration would not allow my mobile devices to auto join the best available band as I move around the house and yard. For example, if I am using my iPad in the family room it will join the 5 ghz band as that signal is strong, but when I move upstairs or to the back deck, the iPad will auto switch to 2.4 ghz, seamlessly, with no interruption to a data stream. If I split the bands as suggested, the Wi-Fi reception on the iPad would become very weak when I move around and result in slow internet performance, forcing me to manually select the 2.4 ghz band. This is undesirable. I have numerous other devices in my home that support only 2.4 ghz Wi-Fi , Sonos, Nest, Harmony Hub, Chamberlain garage door opener, yet this HP printer is the only one that forces me to split my wifi into two separate networks. Can HP update your network implementation so that it is aware a 2.4 ghz band is being transmitted and simply join that band? Certainly, this would be a straightforward improvement. 

HP Recommended

I understand the hesitance and it is a valid concern. But unfortunately this printer model wireless card only supports 2.4 GHz so this cannot be fixed by an update or software patch since it is a Hardware restriction

Newer printer models however do support both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Network

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.