Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 9025
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Hey guys, my office is networked through a Linksys LRT224. The computers are on VLAN1 and printer and guest network are on VLAN2. I can ping the printer just fine, but can not see it as a printer. (when adding new printer in System Preferences)

I've opened up the bonjour ports and even allowed ALL traffic from main computers to printer.

Still nothing. HP Smart also can not find the printer. (again- I can ping it just fine)

Printer has a static IP and its reserved in the router config.

Would love your thoughts on this.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

What happens if you connect both the PC and the Mac to the same VLAN, the different VLANS may not allow proper communication.

Can you access the IP of the printer from the Mac with no issues?

I would say the problem is likely related to your network configuration, not to the printer settings.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks for replying-

They work, but that's not the point. It works anyways, but I keep having to restart the router. It's something to do with bonjour and firewall. I can print between the VLANs, but then printer disappears after a while. (although I can still ping it- which wouldn't be possible if there's was no inter-VLAN communication)

On another note- (maybe this helps clarify)

I can add the printer as an IP printer (not bonjour) but the scanner isn't recognized/loaded then.

(also- multicast is enabled- I saw on another thread that HP printers need that to be seen via bonjour)

HP Recommended

Which ports need to be opened (firewall) in order for the printer to be seen? (I can ping it just fine so clearly it's a port thing...)

HP Recommended

Hi,

Bonjour works on ports 5353for Multicasting:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202944

But be aware, Bonjour does not only depends on standard ports also needs other network protocols to transfer multicast packets correctly, the reason you need to restart the printer frequently when Multicast packets are not transferred correctly it will drop this kind of connection within several minutes, can you see the same behavior also when connected to the same VLAN too?

Spoiler
Bonjour support: HP recommends routers that support Bonjour, Apple's network discovery software. Connecting with Bonjour is the best way to find the printer and support wireless printing.

Check if that works, if not, you should contact your router server provider, I suggest ensuring it has the latest firmware, also you would need to check if the router supports Multicasting and if it may require any specific configuration for the router.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Just confirmed- bonjour does NOT support traffic on different VLAN's. No matter what access rules you set.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.