Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5640 e-All-in-One Printer

I have never been able to print using my photo tray on my hp5460 I tried a few times but just thought it would sort itself - I have come to try again using my windows laptop, my phone and my ipad and I can't get the photo tray to print - it will let me put the paper in the tray it will go to print and say no paper in tray despite having the paper - it will print a4 photos perfectly but the 6x4 it just won't do it and now it's Christmas and need to make Christmas cards I'd love to be able to get it to work, it has never worked and I have been saving hundreds of pages on my e ink for Christmas cards etc only to not be able to use them 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@tommymordecai01 

It might be a simple case of the printer not knowing about the paper that is loaded in the tray.

Start,

Load the 4x6 inch photo paper in the photo tray according to the instructions in the User Guide - Page 11 - close the tray

Next,

Look for a message on the printer control panel - Edit / Check the paper size / type > click to accept the change.

If supported, use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) to adjust / check the paper size / type - Tray and Paper

Next,

Open the software / application you are using to Print your little photos

(Later in this message) I have included an example of using HP Smart to print 4x6 inch photos.

You can also use other print software.

Paper Size / Type - Tell the printer about the paper you will use...

EWS – Browser – Tray and Paper Management

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

Tab Settings > Preferences > Tray and Paper Management

Model Dependent:  Advanced section

Click Apply to save changes

Retain / Modify (Edit) / Check Paper Size & Type - Tray and Paper Management

Retain_Printing_Preferences_17Retain_Printing_Preferences_17

From here to end... Details / How-to / Examples -

Read, Use, or Ignore depending on your situation

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Printer Software - Full Feature Software

If you have not done so,

Install the Full Feature Software / Full Driver printer software.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Method - Use the full Web Pack Installation package to install the Full Feature / Full Driver Software

Find, Download-Save-Install

• Open your printer Home Page > Support Website   
  • Open Category Software and Drivers > If the Installation package is not listed on the mail level, check in sub-category Software-Utility
  • The title  of the package might include the words “Full Feature”, “Full Solution”, “Print and Scan Driver”, or similar wording.
  • After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in

For your Printer

Full Feature Software - Web Pack Installation Package - Information and Download

HP ENVY 5640 e-All-in-One Printer series Full Feature Software and Drivers 

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

Basic Instructions - Install the Full Feature Software / Full Driver printer software

Preparation

• If the printer software is still / already installed, Uninstall the printer software  from Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features > Restart the computer and log in – Reference Uninstall HP printer software and drivers

• >>> After the printer software is uninstalled, check that the printer is not still lurking in Devices and Printers.  If the printer is listed, Right-Click on the printer and "Remove" > Restart the computer and sign in.

Continuing

• If using VPN, shut it off to install software.  NOTE >> If you don’t know what this is, you are not using a VPN – ignore this part.

• Reminder:  If using USB cable between printer and computer, disconnect the cable before installing software.  Later... Connect the cable when instructed (near the end of the installation procedure).

• Observation:  It is possible (assuming your Wireless Network is stable) that using a Wireless connection to install the printer software might work better than using an Ethernet Connection.   Personal choice - the Wireless connection method is recommended when you face insurmountable issues installing the software.

Installation

• Download and Save the Full Feature Software Web Pack installation package or the Easy Start Software
  • Open File Explorer
  • Navigate to the folder in which you saved the installation file  (likely Downloads)
  • Right-Click on the installation package and “Run as Administrator
  • After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Optional

HP Smart - Windows - Application

Windows 10 / Windows 11

HP Smart for Windows

HP Smart is an application available in the Microsoft Store

OR

Open the Homepage / Support Website for your printer

Category Software and Drivers > Check/ Get the App

>>> Open and Read >>> HP printer setup (HP Smart app)

NOTES: 

• Read FAQ -  including - What are the requirements to set up a printer using the HP Smart app?

• Disconnect from Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection before downloading.

• Turn on Wi-Fi on your computer or mobile device and connect to your network. If the computer is connected to the network with an Ethernet cable, temporarily disconnect the cable and use the Wi-Fi connection during the setup.

• Enable Bluetooth for an HP Smart app setup: Enable Bluetooth on your computer or mobile device so that HP Smart can detect the printer during the setup.  Source: How to scan with an HP printer > FAQ > Why can't I connect my wireless printer or scan over the network?

• HP Smart requires that you sign into the application using your HP Account credentials.

• When working through a browser to access HP Smart, be sure you have Cookies enabled.  If cookies are enabled and you are having trouble, clear Cache and Cookies.   And / Or … Try a different browser – assign that browser as the Default. (Note:  Chrome not working?  Use / Assign a different default browser.)

• Where possible, HP Smart benefits (likes) having the Full Feature Software / full driver printer software installed.  For example, full driver provides access to Shortcuts and Printing Preferences.

• “Share” to email – Before using Share, add your sender email address to the Windows Mail application

• Document includes the HP Smart application download links for Windows and Mobile devices, plus an FAQ section to assist with questions / issues.
    •  FAQ examples: 
      • What are the requirements to use the HP Smart app?
      • Which printers are compatible with the HP Smart app?
      • Why do I need to sign in or create an account to use the HP Smart app features?
      • Which languages does the HP Smart app support?
    • Older versions of the HP Smart app no longer support the required login feature.
    • Update the application to the latest version to access / use HP Smart

Help Here:  Unable to download and install the HP Smart printer app

===================================================

Example = HP Smart - Windows - Simple Photo Print - 4x6 inch - Borderless

HP_Smart_Win_Print_Photo_4x6_All_2HP_Smart_Win_Print_Photo_4x6_All_2

References / Resources

HP ENVY 5640 e-All-in-One Printer (B9S56A, B9S58A, B9S59A) Specifications

Section Paper Handling

and

Media Size (facet)Letter; A4; Legal; B5
Media Sizes Custom (imperial)3.85 x 8.5 to 5 x 14 in
Media Sizes Custom (metric)97.79 x 215 to 127 x 355 mm
Media TypesPaper (plain, inkjet, photo), envelopes, transparencies, labels, cards, the HP premium media, iron-on transfers, borderless media
Media Weight Recommended (imperial)18 to 22 lb
Media Weight Recommended (metric)70 to 90 g/m²
Media Weights Supported, By Paper Path (Imperial)16 to 72 lb
Media Weights Supported, By Paper Path (metric)Tray 1: A4: 75 to 90 g/m²; HP envelopes: 75 to 90 g/m²; HP Photo Paper: up to 250 g/m²; HP 10 x 15 cm photo paper: up to 250 g/m²
Borderless PrintingYes (up to 8.5 x 11 in, 216 x 297 mm)

Example - Full Feature Software - Installed in Programs and Features

Programs_and_Features_Printer_Desktop_Icons_9Programs_and_Features_Printer_Desktop_Icons_9

Example - Parts to the Software (Windows)

Parts_to_Printer_Software_6Parts_to_Printer_Software_6

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources

Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic Subtopic

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), Supplies, and more

Open

HP ENVY 5640 e-All-in-One Printer series 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community:

People who own, use, and support HP devices.

Click Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.