Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8630
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm trying to install an OfficeJet Pro 8630 on new Lenovo X1, but it can't find the printer on the same wireless network that my other two computers work with easily.  They print and scan just like always, but not the Lenovo.  All are running Windows 10 64 bit.  I've tried searching with and without the printer IP address, but no luck either way.  I've taken the printer off the network and put it back on, but even though my other two computers handled that fine, the Lenovo still can't sniff out the printer. Rebooting the printer didn't help either, even unplugging and re-plugging.  

The printer is confused. On one setting screen, it says "Not Connected" but says "Connected" on another.  The antenna turns blue on the setup screen (Connected), but is gray on the home screen.  Makes no difference to the two older machines. Anybody had problems with one connection in a three computer setup on the same net?  

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

I suggest ensuring there are no protection programs blocking the network connection to the printer.

First, ensure the PC is connected to your home network.

Tap the wireless icon on the printer screen and locate its IP Address.

Type this address into the address bar on your browser on the Lenovo PC, can you access the printer's homepage?

Also, if you may have any Security software provided with your PC, try temporarily disabling its Real-Time and Firewall Protection, to deny any possibility it blocks the network connection with the printer.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

The Lenovo is connected to my home Wi-Fi, and I need to install Norton, but haven't yet.  Just like the other two machines. As you suggested, I typed the printer's IP address into a browser on the Lenovo and the browser found the printer almost instantly. It's Network Summary said it was "connected" and told me how much ink I had of each color.  I t repeated the IP address and told me the name of my network.  So I guess the Lenovo isn't stupid.  I'm using the same HP driver install software I used with my other two computers. 

HP Recommended

I tried to give you a thumbs up for helping, but the screen would not accept my click. 

Since the networking screen on my printer says "connected", but the home screen antenna is gray instead of blue, I may need to trash this printer and buy a new one.  It is at least 10 years old but had been working so well up to now, and still does with my two other machines.  But I have a stack of ink cartridges that fit it and I have no way to tell HP I don't need any more for a printer that's in the trash.  

HP Recommended

Hi,

I doubt this is the issue, any problem with the printer will not allow printing from all devices, not only from a single computer.

As a start, please click the Start menu and then the gear icon (Settings).

Click on Devices and then on Printers & Scanners.

click the plus sign

Please let me know what exact options are shown, or even include a screenshot of this screen.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

I got to the settings/devices/printers page, but before I clicked the "+" sign I noticed that the printer I'm trying to attach is already listed in the printer list.  I clicked on it and the three options there were "Open Queue", "Manage", and "Remove Device." I didn't touch them, but then clicked on the "+" sign.  It looked and found the HP printer.  The model number was the same but it had the model ID and another number in a different order than the one that was already there.  There were no options shown to click next on the newly offered printer except a sentence that was in red print and said, "the printer I want wasn't listed."  

So what next?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.