Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My new printer (OfficeJet Pro 6978) is not detecting my wifi network. My computer, phone, and other devices in my home are connnected to the wifi and the printer is detecting other wifi networks that don't belong to me. I've tried restarting the printer, unplugging it and plugging it back in, etc. This is extremely frustrating. Any suggestions?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @Coley1984,

I'd like to help!

To assist better -

1. Are you trying to connect your printer to your home network or a public network?
  2. What is the status of the wireless light on the printer, steady or blinking?
  3.  I would like to know, is your router set to work on 2.4 GHz network or 5 GHz network band?

Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Hi! I apologize for the delayed response. Here are the answers to your questions:

1. I'm connecting to a home network. Well, I'm attempting to. 

2. The wireless light is blinking. 

3. I believe the router is set to 2.4 GHz. 

Thanks for the warm welcome to the community!

HP Recommended

Try the below suggestions-

Restore network default settings on the printer

Prepare the printer for a wireless connection setup by restoring network default settings.

• Most printers with a touchscreen: On the printer, select Restore Network Defaults from the Wireless, Settings , or Restore Settings menu.

• For most HP printers without a control panel menu: Press and hold the Wireless and Cancel buttons until the Wireless and Power lights blink.

Connect the printer with the Wireless Setup Wizard (printers with a touchscreen)

Use the Wireless Setup Wizard from the printer control panel to connect your printer to your local Wi-Fi network.

1. Place the printer near the Wi-Fi router.

2. Make sure paper is loaded in the main tray, and then turn on the printer.

3. Select Wireless Setup Wizard from the Wireless, Settings, or Network Setup menu.

4. Select the name of your wireless network, and then enter the password to complete the connection.

NOTE: 

If the Wireless Setup Wizard is not listed, select Wi-Fi Protected Setup or WPS, select Push Button, and then follow the steps to connect to the network.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted.

HP Recommended

I restored to network defaults and then went through the Wireless Setup Wizard again. It still is detecting any number of wireless networks than aren't mine, the routers for which are much further away, and it isn't detecting my wireless network.

HP Recommended

To assist better -

1.  I would like to know, is your router set to work on 2.4 GHz network or 5 GHz network band?
  2. What is the status of the wireless light on the printer, steady or blinking?

Let me know!

HP Recommended

The answer to these questions remains:

1. 2.4 GHz

2. Blinking 

HP Recommended

We can perform a factory defaults on the printer to resolve the issue-

• The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may corrupt the device.
  • I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer.
  • In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Support Community profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.