Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 8500a
macOS 10.14 Mojave

Hi all,

Over the winter break we switched from one internet provider to another, which means we switched from one modem/router to another. A very seamless transition save for my HP printer. It is able to see the wireless network, join it with the SSID and password (WPS setup fails). But it never gets assigned an IP address by the router (192.168.x.x) and always ends up with the auto-private IP address 169.254.104.131.

Effectively that means my Mac laptops are unable to find the printer and send jobs to it.

I've tried manually assigning the printer an IP address/subnet/gateway to no avail. Tried powering everything down and up and down and up to no avail. 

This printer *is* able to receive an IP address from the router when connected to the router via ethernet cable. But the trick where you try to set it up wired, then switch over to wireless to see if the network 'remembers' the printer and finally assigns it an IP address, no luck.

And, you know, I wanna connect wirelessly and put the printer across the room. Printer and router are in the same room, for what it's worth.

The paid support from the internet company ran out of options to try (thank goodness I got a refund on their 'solution gaurantee')

Am I getting close to "give up on your otherwise perfectly functioning 9 year old HP wireless printer"? What else should I look into?

Appreciate any ideas you might have!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@deersnake, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I'd suggest you restore network defaults on the printer and try again.

To reconfigure the printer, follow the steps from the document HP Printers - No Connection after Router or Wi-Fi Settings Change.

Additionally, refer to the document Connect to a Wireless HP Printer for help.

If you still have issues, use the guided troubleshooter Troubleshooting | Wireless Printing Center for instruction to isolate and resolve the issue.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. Before submitting this community post, I had tried almost all of the steps outlined in these various help docs. I've restored wireless network defaults a bajillion times, still no IP address. 

One thing I have NOT tried, that is suggested in these docs, is, disconnecting the internet cable from the router, and trying to get the printer onto the router's network before adding back in the connection out to the internet. I'll try that and report back with results.

HP Recommended

@deersnake

Sure, keep me posted.

Thanks!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Disconnecting from internet, restarting router, resetting network defaults, setting up Wifi on printer again did not help. Printer still not able to obtain an IP address from router. 

Tried assigning a static IP again, being careful to use correct subnet and default gateway. Also did not work. 

What else is left to try?

HP Recommended

@deersnake

This requires remote assistance.

Please reach out to the HP Support in your region for further course of action.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.