Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
Laserjet Pro MFP M281cdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have problems fixing my Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281cdw. It works great after a restart.  However after it goes to sleep, most of the time will not recover after sending a print document. The only solution is to physically restart the printer. Some symptoms are I cannot ping the printer it says local host unreachable, the under Prints it says to be Offline. When the problem is happening, and I look for the network status on the printer itself it says it is connected and shows everything is ok

The printer is connected to the network by Wi-Fi 2.4GHz. OS Windows 64-bit. I have HP Smart and HP Print and Scan Doctor.

I followed the steps here: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Wireless-Networking-Internet/Why-is-my-printer-offline-CONSTAN...

to assign a static IP address to the printer and TCP port.

I already updated the firmware of printer, followed instructions to do it from the printer itself. 

Tried using HP Print and Scan Doctor, said 'Printer offline issue is not fixed

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

The problem showed up right after posting this.

ping 192.168.4.29

Pinging 192.168.4.29 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.4.30: Destination host unreachable.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.4.29:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),

tracert 192.168.4.29

Tracing route to 192.168.4.29 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 DESKTOP-R6UJLSO [192.168.4.30] reports: Destination host unreachable.

Trace complete.

HP Recommended

HP Print and Scan Doctor saying "Failed to communicate with your selected product. Follow the steps below to try and solve the problem".

HP Recommended

@gusti61

Welcome to HP Support Community

I would like to help

Please uninstall the printer driver from root level and download the full feature software

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’

6.) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the “Drivers” tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.) Restart the computer and download the full feature software Link: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/LJ/M278-281/LJM278-M281_UWWL_4_1_Full_WebPack_44.... and follow the onscreen instructions

Use the HP Printer Assistant to Scan and Print

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, I tried the steps below.

Tried it after several minutes of inactivity when it'd go to sleep and it worked. Tried it the next morning and it worked. After the 4th test, it did not recover.

C:\Users\NESTOR CAMACHO>arp -a

Interface: 192.168.4.30 --- 0x8
Internet Address Physical Address Type
192.168.4.1 5c-a5-bc-7e-6f-cd dynamic
192.168.4.20 24-fc-e5-2a-c2-1e dynamic
192.168.4.34 c0-b8-83-56-ee-06 dynamic
192.168.7.255 ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff static
224.0.0.22 01-00-5e-00-00-16 static
224.0.0.251 01-00-5e-00-00-fb static
224.0.0.252 01-00-5e-00-00-fc static
239.255.102.18 01-00-5e-7f-66-12 static
239.255.255.250 01-00-5e-7f-ff-fa static
255.255.255.255 ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff static

C:\Users\NESTOR CAMACHO>ping 192.168.4.29

Pinging 192.168.4.29 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.4.29:
Packets: Sent = 2, Received = 1, Lost = 1 (50% loss),
Control-C

What else?

HP Recommended

Please try these steps to assign a manual IP address using the printer's IP address directly   

1) Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can print a Network Configuration page to obtain the IP address

2) Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.

3) Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.

4) Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)

5) Click Manual IP 6) If you see a Suggest a Manual IP Address button, click Manual IP address, and the Manual IP addresses are automatically filled out for you.

6) If your page does not have a button to suggest a manual IP address, type the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway using the numbers shown in the report you printed.   

Let me know!

HP Recommended

Hi Jay!

Per the first post, I already followed instructions to set manual IP address.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Wireless-Networking-Internet/Why-is-my-printer-offline-CONSTAN...

I also went ahead and disabled IPv6, changed DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 from the printer's HTTP port

HP Recommended

Is it possible to disable the sleep feature? It doesn't seem like I could...only barely extend it.

HP Recommended

You can only extend it to max 15 min

Please try these steps to help with the printer not waking up from sleep mode

Touch on the wifi icon ((i)) on the printer, and take down the IP address

a. Click Start/Devices and Printers.  Right-click on your HP Printer.  Select Printer Properties.  Select the Ports tab at the top.

b.  Select Add Port.  Select Standard TCP/IP Port.  Select New Port.

c.   Follow the Add Port Wizard.  Under Printer Name or IP Address, .  

Example:  192.168.1.15.  The IP address will be copied under Port Name.

d.   Select Next and Finish the Wizard.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi KrazyToad,

Per the instructions here I already added this port as well.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Wireless-Networking-Internet/Why-is-my-printer-offline-CONSTAN...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.