Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
LaserJet CM1415fnw

Xfinity sent me a new dual-broadband modem/router to replace my older one which worked fine.  I was able to connect all my devices to the new router wirelessly; laptop (old), Alexa devices etc., but my printer will not connect.  The printer is about 8-yr.  When you look on the front panel the printer shows internet connection with an IP address: 169.254._____.  I read somewhere that that is an invalid IP address.   I cannot fix this problem, and when I try to print wirelessly from either my iphone or laptop a message says the printer is offline.  

Help ~ do I need a new printer just because Xfinity sent a new router?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Make sure your new router has enabled 2,4GHz band wireless because the printer can only connect to the 2,4GHz band.

If not sure contact your provider for details about wireless bands on specific router.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

>   the printer shows internet connection with an IP address: 169.254._____.  I read somewhere that that is an invalid IP address.   

It is not really an "invalid" IP-address, but a "reserved" IP-address that indicates that the printer has not been able to "talk" to your new router to obtain an IP-address (probably "192.168.xx.yy" or "10.0.0.zzz").

On your printer, access its "network settings", and remove any previous configuration, and to "talk" to your router to obtain new values.

> when I try to print wirelessly from either my iphone or laptop a message says the printer is offline.  

Correct. Because the printer does not an IP-address that is compatible with the IPi-addresses on your home network, it is being reported as "offline".

> do I need a new printer just because Xfinity sent a new router?

Only as a final-I-have-tried-everything-humanly-possible" solution.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.