cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status..
ToriaLouise
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Unable to connect my printer to new wlfi

HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 2540

Hi,

I have a HP Deskjet 2540 and want to connect it to my new wifi, I've connected it via the lead and usb to my laptop but it will not let me change anything unless both my laptop and printer are on the old wifi.  When they are it will then allow me to select the new wireless network and put in the details, says that it's saved it but that the connection has been lost because the printer and laptop are on different networks.  If I then change my laptop to my new network it says that the connection has been lost.  When I then change back to the old wifi on my laptop I'm back where I started again with the printer connected to the old network.  I had stupidly assumed that physically connecting the printer to my laptop would mean I could change the networks but that doesn't seem to be the case.  I can't see any option to delete the old wifi connection for the printer.  How do I change the wifi?

Thanks

Vicky

1 REPLY 1
Echo_Lake
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
25,051 24,993 1,165 1,199
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ToriaLouise

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I understand that you are unable to connect to the new wifi network. 

• Is your router dual-band enabled i.e., both 2.4GHz and 5GHz? If yes, make sure the dual-band has different SSIDs for 2.4G and 5G networks.

Let's restore network settings to default settings.
Press the Wireless button and the Cancel button from the printer control panel at the same time, and then hold them for 5 seconds.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation