Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
eprowe Top Student
Top Student
2 0 2
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

49.4C06 and 49.4C02 Errors on LaserJet 9050s

HP LaserJet 9050
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I manage several computer labs on my campus and two of them contain three HP LaserJet 9050s.

Over the past couple of semesters I've seen a rise in the number of 49.4C06 errors on my 9050s.  The first thing I looked at was firmware.  I updated the firmware on all the printers (Datecode: 20150211 08.270.1) and the problem persisted.

I've finally narrowed down the problem to PowerPoints which use the font "Arial Rounded MT Bold" and are printed using any PowerPoint print layout other than "Full Page Slides".  Students commonly use either the "3 Slides" or "6 Slides" options when printing their instructor PowerPoints.

Interestingly if "print" the PowerPoint using the problem layouts to AdobePDF using Acrobat Pro and print these new PDFs the SAME error occurs.  Also when the error occurs depends on where in the document the first instance of the font occurs.  If the font is in the first slide the error occurs immediately.  However, if the font is several slides deep the error won't occur until the page that the font will appear on is ready to be printed on the printer.  I saw this behavior yesterday afternoon when the first 12 slides of a PowerPoint printed correctly , two pages of a six slide print layout, and then the error occurred.

The print servers are currently utilizing the "HP Universal Printing PCL 6" driver version "61.130.4.12834" dated "2012.04.24".  I've also attempted printing these PowerPoints directly to the printers in question using direct IP printing with the same "HP Universal Printing PCL 6" driver but version "61.175.1.18849" dated "2014.11.20" with similar results.

I'm sharing this information here for others who are looking to troubleshoot this issue.  Additionally looking for advice and maybe hoping that someone from HP may see this thread, contact me, and we can work to getting this issue resolved with another firmware update.  I have two sample PowerPoints that are known to cause this issue on all three of my 9050s if someone from HP would like to contact me for them.

Thanks for your time everyone and good luck.

2 REPLIES
Distinguished Professor Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
3492 288 627
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I suggest you try setting up the PostScript driver for one of those printers and printing the same document and see what happens.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
0 Kudos
eprowe Top Student
Top Student
2 0 2
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks for the follow up HPRepair.

On my local workstation I installed the following drivers:

HP Universal Printing PS - v61.175.1.18849 - 2014.11.20

HP Universal Printing PCL 6 - v61.175.1.18849 - 2014.11.20

HP Universal Printing PCL 5 - v61.170.1.18326 - 2014.06.17

I attempted to print the same PowerPoint using the same layout to each of the printer drivers listed.  The error only occurred with the PCL 6 driver.

Now I just need to convince my server management team to allow the PCL 5 driver to replace or supplement the PCL 6 driver.

Ultimately, I still something as simple as the presence of a specific font in a PowerPoint shouldn't cause a printer to come to its knees.  Who knows, at least I know the combination of variables to cause this issue and how to prevent them in the future.  Thanks again HPRepair.

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation