cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
bearsieboo
Level 1
13 11 0 1
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

5520 won't print black except for text on Print Quality Diagnostic page

HP Recommended
Photosmart 5520 allinone
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Yesterday my 5520 stopped printing in black, colour on the same pages is not affected. Sometimes there is no black at all and sometimes it is an extremely faint grey.

The bizarre thing is that when i print a Print Quality Diagnostic page, all of the text is printed in black correctly, and the Cyan, Magenta and Yellow blocks of colour print correctly, the block which should be filled with black is only a rectangle outline, the inside of which is blank.

I have this problem on my HP laptop using Windows 10 64bit (been using this for a month or more) and on my wife's HP laptop running Windows 7.

The problem occurs whether I am trying to print a web page, an Excel spreadsheet, Word doc, email, pdf file, I have tried makeing a copy (photocopy) of an existing page of black text with a resultant blank page being produced.

I have cleaned the print heads repeatedly, tried aligning them (although of course the alignment page printed doesn't show the black shapes so that's a waste of time), I have replaced the black cartidge - I only use genuine HP 364 cartridges.

The problem occurs whether I am directly connected via USB from my laptop or via wireless (network).

I have looked elsewhere in this forum for similar issues and found one that relates to a 6520  6520 similar problem to mine  and in that thread, there is a link http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Photosmart-6520-e-All-in-One-Printer-series/5169038/model/527...    to possible solutions. I have worked though each of these with my 5520. There is an image in step 7 (figure 13) of a Print Quality Diagnostic page which shows the black printed text like I get and then in step 8, the third image down (missing colour) is an example of how my Print Quality Diagnostic page looks.

I have worked through all of those steps including checking for blocked vents.

My 5520 is no longer under warranty.

Any thoughts on a solution?

Many thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
bearsieboo
Author
Level 1
13 11 0 1
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Borrowed a Canon printer this evening and all of the docs that I wanted to print yesterday and today on my 5520 printed perfectly, so it's nothing to do with Windows 10 or Windows 7 nor the program that I am using (Excel, Word etc) as suggested as being the cause in some other posts, so it must be a 5520 printer fault.

Is the only solution to ditch my almost 3 year old 5520 and buy a new printer?

Anyone????

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
yournotreal
2 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Having exactly the same problem. No greyscale only blank black rectangle on the diagnostic report. Everything is the same except I'm using a mac. Maybe I should get a Canon printer too. Help pls hP. 

yournotreal
2 2 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Photo on 2016-07-12 at 12.52.jpg

bearsieboo
Author
Level 1
13 11 0 1
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I did ditch the old 5520 and replaced it with an HP Envy 4524, no printing problems with that one; no change of laptop operating system so I've no resolution to the cause of the probs with the 5520.

jjplums
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yep, that's exactly it. Has anybody found a solution?

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation