Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 19 (22,149 Views)

6500 Officejet ink system failure / Print head missing??

Have had the 6500 for just under a year; had to replace the black toner; since then, continue to get "Ink System Failure" message;   Cleaned print heads manually;  When tried to do it via the utility, it says "print head is missing" and I continue to get ink system failure on my printer display.   Any other suggestions?   Can't find a place on HP site to order "print head" -- should I take printer to get serviced?  And where?  

-Very Frustrated,

Mister Sarajevo 

0 Kudos
Top Student
Message 2 of 19 (22,025 Views)

Re: 6500 Officejet ink system failure / Print head missing??

Hello,

This is the P/N for the PrintHead:

CN643A

Student
Message 3 of 19 (21,811 Views)

Just replaced my black ink cartridge (for the first time I think) and I'm seeing the same issue... Error switches between Printhead missing and Ink system failure...

Student
Message 4 of 19 (21,773 Views)

[ Edited ]

Check this out: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01458034

In particular, make sure the cartridge vent is clear of any tape or glue.

Student
Message 5 of 19 (20,724 Views)

Replaced ink cartridge. Now get mssg that print head is missing? Can't find any info on what to do. Thanks if you can help.

MisterSarajevo9 wrote:

Have had the 6500 for just under a year; had to replace the black toner; since then, continue to get "Ink System Failure" message;   Cleaned print heads manually;  When tried to do it via the utility, it says "print head is missing" and I continue to get ink system failure on my printer display.   Any other suggestions?   Can't find a place on HP site to order "print head" -- should I take printer to get serviced?  And where?  

-Very Frustrated,

Mister Sarajevo 

Intern
Message 6 of 19 (20,676 Views)

There's still a way to fix your officejet before you get it serviced. You can check out this link.

http://www.out-of-warranty.com/ink-system-failure-error-0xc18a-hp/

If you are still in warranty, then i suggest you call HP support instead.

Student
Message 7 of 19 (18,976 Views)

[ Edited ]

Cleaning my printer head fixed the Ink System failure problem.  I found the step by step  answer on the hp support page 'Printhead Problem' or 'Printhead appears to be missing or damaged .  This page does not mention "Ink System Failure"!

I used bottle water and many coffee filters with hp's instructions.

Best of luck!

I was getting ready to fork out the money for a new non-hp printer but finding this hp support link smooth my stress when it worked.   Can I get my two hours back? 

I found it at  http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01661383

Hopefully I typed in link properly as this site would no allow me to copy/paste.

Tutor
Message 8 of 19 (18,610 Views)

When printing some documents printer-Officejet HP 6500-e709a.. refuse to print. when checking control panel on printer it showed "Printhead Missing"..I have no idea what that meant. how can it be missing? it was there 5 minutes ago. Anyway..after accessing HP site showed how to clean Printhead followed instructions "Did Not Work" I ordered a NEW Printhead which I installed with Brand new ink Cartdriges. Followed all instructions unplug/turn off/turn on check this do that.!!

It still shows "Prtinthead" missing!!! This printhead cost me $47.. I have been on this HP site "all day" nothing got accomplished. Awful!!!

Tutor
Message 9 of 19 (18,609 Views)

Hello Again

I just checked my control panel on my Officejet HP6500 e709a printer-all in one...also message was  showing "The Printhead installed is not "Intended" for this printer...How can a "Printhead" be installed?Never installed a printhead.it's been there since I puchased this printer in 2010

Student
Message 10 of 19 (18,480 Views)

Thank you so much for your advise!!! It worked!  I wasn't getting an error message but I couldn't get the black ink to print; it would only print  with the color ink.  This fixed the problem,,, wish I'd looked here first as it would have saved me a couple of hours as well.  Thanks again!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation