The HP Community is here for you.
04-16-2013 03:49 PM
My 7410 Officejet gives me this cryptic error on the display: 0x887df78e
Right below that is shows this: 1:??
The on/off light, exclamation point light and auto answer light all quickly flash on and off when in this mode. I ran the new troubleshooting HP Print and scan doctor and it found nothing wrong (however when printer is in this particular error mode, the print and scan doctor apparently can't communicate with unit and therefore cannot fix this issue).
This just started within a week and seems to have coincided with changing both print cartridges. When unit is not in this error mode, it works just fine. Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.
04-17-2013 04:00 PM - last edited on 02-23-2017 05:23 PM by OscarFuentes
I understand that your printer is showing an alphanumeric error code. I would take a look at the document below.
Hope this helps.
04-18-2013 11:08 AM
Thanks for the replies.
iTunes is not an issue as I don't use it. I can't use USB as multiple PCs access this printer (I suppose I could do this but I would need to leave my PC on at all times as a print server I believe).
Concerning option 2 where installation of a patch is mentioned, there's no real mention of 'patch' on the HP website per se (there is mention of an "Update 3" for windows 7 critical update to enhance reliability of network connection).
I do not have the complete s/w installed on my Win 7 PC as is required for this update to work; just the printer driver is installed. So I don't think this update3 will fix my issue so if there's another patch somewhere, it isn't clear to me where to go get it.
Concerning option 3, I guess this is my last option to try unless others have comments about option 2. I believe I did remove cartridges, swabbed down contact areas, dried, reinstalled cartridges and still got error. I didn't perform the exact sequence as listed here.
One last comment: I did disconnect ethernet cable from unit and turned on wireless to see if that would have any effect. When I powered up unit, it started up much 'quicker' than when connected via ethernet. I let it run for several hours and the error did not occur. Not sure at this point if I was just lucky or what but I will continue using wireless to see how it goes.
Again, thanks for the suggestions!