Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 4 (996 Views)

7410 Officejet error message and flashing lights

My 7410 Officejet gives me this cryptic error on the display: 0x887df78e

Right below that is shows this: 1:??

The on/off light, exclamation point light and auto answer light all quickly flash on and off when in this mode.  I ran the new troubleshooting HP Print and scan doctor and it found nothing wrong (however when printer is in this particular error mode, the print and scan doctor apparently can't communicate with unit and therefore cannot fix this issue).

This just started within a week and seems to have coincided with changing both print cartridges.  When unit is not in this error mode, it works just fine.  Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.

0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Message 2 of 4 (972 Views)

Re: 7410 Officejet error message and flashing lights

[ Edited ]

Hi Chevyavalanche,

I understand that your printer is showing an alphanumeric error code.  I would take a look at the document below.

Alphanumeric Error Code

Hope this helps.

Intern
Message 3 of 4 (964 Views)

Hi,

Here are some solutions for error code 0x887df78e :

http://fix-your-printer.blogspot.fr/2011/05/solving-error-0x887df78e-on-hp-printers.html

Honor Student
Message 4 of 4 (955 Views)

Thanks for the replies.

iTunes is not an issue as I don't use it.  I can't use USB as multiple PCs access this printer (I suppose I could do this but I would need to leave my PC on at all times as a print server I believe).

Concerning option 2 where installation of a patch is mentioned, there's no real mention of 'patch' on the HP website per se (there is mention of an "Update 3" for windows 7 critical update to enhance reliability of network connection).

I do not have the complete s/w installed on my Win 7 PC as is required for this update to work; just the printer driver is installed.  So I don't think this update3 will fix my issue so if there's another patch somewhere, it isn't clear to me where to go get it.

Concerning option 3, I guess this is my last option to try unless others have comments about option 2.  I believe I did remove cartridges, swabbed down contact areas, dried, reinstalled cartridges and still got error.  I didn't perform the exact sequence as listed here.

One last comment: I did disconnect ethernet cable from unit and turned on wireless to see if that would have any effect.  When I powered up unit, it started up much 'quicker' than when connected via ethernet.  I let it run for several hours and the error did not occur.  Not sure at this point if I was just lucky or what but I will continue using wireless to see how it goes.

Again, thanks for the suggestions!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation