cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

8610 Network printer - Not printing from XP computers

HP Recommended
Officejet 8610
Microsoft Windows XP

I am trying to set up our new 8610 on an existing business network and have installed the correct drivers on all relevant computers. The printer is connected wirelessly to the modem/wireless router and via USB to the POS. I can print documents from my personal laptop running windows 8.1, but when attempting to print from the office computer which runs XP or the POS running windows 7 (Both connected via ethernet to the modem) the network printer does one of three things:

1. Prints extremely slowly - half an inch for every 15 minutes or so (from the xp) then gives up, eventually.

2. Says the document can't print ( from the 7) and gives a generic error.

3. Goes through the motions of printing and clears the spool but nothing comes out of the printer (from the xp).

When attempting to print from the xp the printer often loses connection, or, at least, I receive errors on all connected computers that "Scan to computer" is not available. Connection returns shortly afterwards but the printer does not print. I have attempted several times to use the Scan & Print Doctor, which - depending on whether I have attempted to print recently or not tells me that everything is fine or that the printer is busy.

I have given the printer a manual IP and have tried changing it to a standard TCP/IP port using that IP. I have also opened a list of ports, which I do not have on hand right now, through the firewall. Disabling the firewall did not enable communication.

My laptop uses Avast! while the XP machine uses ESET and neither appear to be blocking communication. A second laptop using XP and AVG has been connected once and also could not print.

I have reinstalled the drivers, both basic and regular, on the xp machine several times and receive no errors when installing.

The POS system will print over USB to the printer without issues. I know that this particular printer also has the ability to create its own wireless network for printing. I believe the 8.1 laptop may be using that network to print to print, but the xp machine nor the POS are capable of using that connection.

I need to be able to print from the XP machine to this printer. Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Level 14
12,683 12,677 865 1,534
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Make sure that you have the latest firmware installed on the 8610.  (FDP1CN1502AR)

Can I ask why you are still running Windows XP computers?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation