Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a Officejet Pro 8610 printer and I want to change the dpi for scanning to 1200.   The largest it has even under advance settings is 300 dpi??  On my old printer 6500 officejet under advance you could change it to 1200????  thanks

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hi mspshopper8308,

I see by your post that you would like to be able to change the DPI for scanning.

I can help you with this.

I have provided a document for how to change the settings through the HP software for scanning. Scan.

Select your operating system from the list. Depending on what other settings you set, then you can change the DPI.

NOTESmiley Frustratedcanning additional pages is supported at 300 dpi or lower.

hpscandpi.png

Here are the specifications for the printer. The printer does support Resolution: 1200 x 1200 dots per inch (dpi) dpi optical.  HP Officejet Pro 8610, 8620, 8630, 8640, and 8660 e-All-in-One Printer Series Printer Specifications...

What operating system are you using?

How to Find the Windows Edition and Version on Your Computer.

Mac OS X: How Do I Find Which Mac OS X Version Is on My Computer?

What software are you using?

If you need further assistance, just let me know.

Have a nice day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hello,

I'm sorry I do not understand your answer. The specs for the Officejet Pro 8610 printer say that it goes up to 1200 dpi, yet on the screen where you would choose scan settings, which you've included a screenhot of here, only goes to 300 dpi. Can it scan at a higher reolution, and if so, how to change it? COUld you explaon further and more simply pease?

Thank you!

HP Recommended

Hi MarthaB1,

Through the HP Scan software, select JPG or PDF and you should be able to click the drop down beside dpi and select a option. (1200 dpi)

You can also click below on the link for Advanced Settings, click on the Scan tab and change the dpi there, when it prompts you to select a lower resolution, select no. This way the new dpi will default to the program. (1200 dpi)

Here is a URL for all the different operating system for how to change the settings while scanning.

Scan.

If you don't have a choice in either areas, then I would uninstall and reinstall the printer software, since the software didn't install properly.

Uninstalling the Printer Software.

HP Officejet Pro 8610 e-All-in-One Printer Drivers.

What operating system are you using?

Mac OS X: How Do I Find Which Mac OS X Version Is on My Computer?

How to Find the Windows Edition and Version on Your Computer.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hi- I really appreciate your answering me so quickly! Just to clarify, I can't do 1200 dpi while saving as a .tiff? Kind of a bummer because I understand that jpgs (not sure about pdf's) can suffer from lossy compression, and I'm trying to find the best way to save and archive family photos over a long time period....does HP have a different printer/scanner that would allow me to save .tiffs in higer than 300 dpi???

Thanks for answerig a bit more on this issue!!

HP Recommended

Hi MarthaB1,

You could try another third party software program if the options aren't available in the HP Software.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I have just bought an HP Officejet Pro 8610.

The literature says it will scan at 1200dpi.

The HP scan software will not give an option to scan at more than 300dpi.

I have tried reinstalling the software twice, but it still wont give a higher resolution option.

Do i need to return the printer to the supplier or can you help please?

HP Recommended

Hi @Pethen, 

I see by your post that you are unable to change the DPI settings for scanning. I can help you with this.

I have provided some documentation for scanning using the HP Software. Scan. Just select your operating system.

You should be able to change the DPI setting after selecting the format of how you are going to save the file and the Scan size. Click on the Advanced Settings link near the bottom and on the Scan tab, select the DPI there also. Click on the File tab to change the saved File Type. On the Destination tab you can select a default Save Location for the scans.

If you need further assistance, just let me know.

Have a nice day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response.

As you will see from the screen shot below, the higher res option is not offered ....

snap.jpg

It only gives options up to 300dpi....

Any other thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi Pethen,

Thanks for providing the screen shot. I installed the printer on one of our labs. I found out that the 1200 dpi is available only when scanning from the glass. The ADF is maximum of 300 dpi.

Change the source to the glass for more dpi settings to choose from.

Hope this helps resolve your issue.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.