Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Yes, changing the source to "always scan from glass" allowed higher scan resolutions on my printer also (OJ6830).

Thank you for taking the time to perform the experiment and report the results!

HP Recommended

>>> Here is a screen shot. Change the source to the glass for more dpi settings to choose from.

I didn't see any screen shot.

I've look all over the settings but couldn't find anywhere that I can set the source.

Updated: Never mind. Was looking at the wrong place.

HP Recommended

Could I just say "Thank You"! I've been scanning at 300 for nearly a year and was thoroughly disappointed with the lack of 1200. A glance here today because I so needed a decent scan and YES, it CAN be done. Tell your dealer network as THREE I've asked didn't have a clue and TWO of them offered to swap printer for an expensive upgrade (at MY expense!) So THANK YOU!.

Dave Heenan

HP Recommended

Re. scanning in resolution higher than 300dpi on HP Officejet Pro 8610 is a LIE, this is NOT TRUE !!! It scans in optical 300dpi and interpolates to 600dpi or 1200dpi depending on what is chosen. HP SHOULD PAY COMPENSATION TO ALL USERS !!!

What does PRO stand for here ???

HP Recommended

I agree with you Roobin.  What HP has done is 'deceptive advertising'.  I have an old Canon MX882 that will allow me to scan from the feeder at 600 dpi.  I can't believe this 8610 Pro HP printer will only scan at 300 dpi from the feeder.  That leaves us having to place each page on the glass to scan at a higher resolution.  I say we lawyer up or ask HP to fix this crazy software.  Then to add insult to injury, they suggest we go and "PAY" a 3rd party for software to work with their product in order to give us what we should already have.....UNBELIEVABLE!!

HP Recommended

I forgot to mention one more issue with scanning from feeder, the scanner SCEWS the scanned image i.e. one side of image is lower than the other. So actually the feeder scanner is useless !

HP Recommended

FIRST, please don't take offense, but the HP reps should have immediately picked up on this problem from the initial question.  Why send customers on a goose chase to reinstall software, ecetera, when simply trying to use the default setup settings perfectly illustrates the problem described.  Not to mention, that this is a pervasive problem being experienced by hundreds of users and should be a priority issue.

SECOND,  we do appreciate that the thread did provide a final answer.  However,  it doesn't appear the solution is highlighted as an answer at the top of the thread.  Nor is there a link to other threads that address the issue.  As such, future readers are not prevented from performing unnecesary troubleshooting steps recommended in the thread. 

THIRD, the software is poorly designed in that there is no warning in the program interface indicating why the user can only access a maximum dpi of 300.  The interface should have an obvious notification, especially when trying to select a new dpi from the drop-down, of how to change the scan input (feeder or glass) in order to access the higher resolution scan abilities.

Thank you for allowing us to comment.

HP Recommended

Hello Top Student,

Unfortunately, skewed printing from the document feeder has been a pervasive problem with many HP models over many years.  It is definately a weakness of their entire printer line and it's a travesty that it hasn't been addressed long ago.  Especially given that many of these models are some of their higher-end home and business printers.

For us, it has necessitated that we periodically use commercial scanning services in order to get quality scans of important documents.  This is a very 'sad' comment on the quality of the current and past models and an unnecesary expense to us.  While we can live with the 300dpi limit on the document feeder for most documents, it is just another frustrating limitation as noted by others above.  Please take note of these observations HP and fix the problems.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.