cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Solved!

A3 Duplex Manual Duplex on Color LaserJet CM6040 MFP supported?

HP Recommended
Color LaserJet CM6040 MFP
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello

I hope someone can help answer this. I am trying to print a newspaper on A3 duplex but I get no prompt to reinsert the paper to print on the other side like I do when I print A4.

The settings have been triple checked and still the A3 print jobs come out sequentialy on one side only.

My question is does the Color LaserJet CM6040 MFP support A3 Duplex Manual Duplex?

Thanks in advance

S.F

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 9
3,562 3,538 282 589
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

>> ... prompt to reinsert the paper to print on the other side like I do when I print A4 ...

>> ... does the Color LaserJet CM6040 MFP support A3 Duplex Manual Duplex? ...

I would think that it is more a question of "does the printer driver support A3 manual duplex?", since it appears to support A4 manual duplex.

But I don't know the answer to that question, sorry.

Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for info dansdaduk.

This maybe the case, I would expect the hardware is capable and in the settings it says so but cant get it to work.

Should I try a different driver perhaps? I am using a PCL6 and cant find a specific one for this machine, certainly not on the downloads page for it. Only a PC/Fax one.

Cheers

SF

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
3,562 3,538 282 589
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

>> ... I would expect the hardware is capable and in the settings it says so ...

>> ... prompt to reinsert the paper to print on the other side ...

To print using the manual duplex mechanism, the printer driver will:

• Send to the printer all the 'first' sides (probably the even pages?) of the document.
  • Wait for the printer to confirm that it has finished printing those pages (requires bidirectional communications).
  • Send to the prtint all of the 'second' sides  (probably the odd pages?) of the document.

Your symptoms imply that the middle of these steps is not functioning correctly.

I have to admit I'm a bit confused though:

• Your descriptions implies that your printer is not equipped with a hardware duplex unit.
  • But the specifications seem to indicate that the CM6030 / CM 6040 devices are all fitted with a hardware duplex unit, so 'automatic duplex' (rather than 'manual duplex' would seem to be more appropriate.
Highlighted
Level 9
3,562 3,538 282 589
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The CM 6030 / CM 6040 User Guide manual states:

"Duplex printing: Provides automatic two-sided printing (printing on both sides of the paper). The paper size range for automatic duplex printing is 175 to 320 mm (6.9 to 12.6 in) x 210 to 457 mm (8.3 to 18 in). The media weight range is 60 to 220 g/m2 (16 to 58 lb)"

If you are using manual duplex because the printer driver is not offering the automatic duplex option, it may be that the driver doesn't know that a duplex unit is fitted.

The 'automatic discovery' feature used by some drivers on installation (or update) doesn't always work; ensure that the driver knows that a duplex unit is present on the printer (assuming that one is present):

• For the printer instance in question, bring up the Printer properties dialogue.
  • Select the Device settings tab.
  • Ensure that the duplex unit is set to Installed rather than Not installed.

You'll probably need to be logged in with administrator credentials in order to change the device settings.

Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dansdaduk is a genius !!!!!!

Thats it sorted I reinstalled the driver and found the option for the duplex unit, enabled it and now I have duplex A3 printing  autmomatically.

Thanks so much for your assistance, feel like a idiot now but was going round in circles trying to figuire this out.

I have a support ticket open with HP about this too, so I will close it and I will be passing on to them your details and telling them that you are friggin amazing !!!!!!!

Thanks again

SL

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
3,562 3,538 282 589
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're welcome; glad you got the problem resolved (and thank you for your compliments).

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation