cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 2
9 4 1 2
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

About Color

HP Recommended
DeskJet z6100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Ok, I know the question I am about to ask has a potential of many answers, but hopfully I can explain it well enough to get a general answer.

I have recently purchesed a DJ  z1600 60" (not postscript) for the purpose of printing and selling my photgraphy and art. I understand there is a rather steep learning curve with a ton of options etc. my question is in regards to color of the prints. They are all coming out rather flat. There is no pop. I have tried many settings. sRGB, adobe RGB, CMYK, as well with the perceptual, relative colorimetric.. color controlld by printer, color controlled by photoshop. Paper, print heads, roll feed have all been calibrated. Monitor is wide gamut and calibrated.

The only setting where the images are not coming out posterized or gray toned block is sRGB color handled by host app (photshop) I have tried literally almost 100 tests with different settings.

I cannot afford a RIP program right now. I believe I should be able to get acceptable prints without a RIP. I guess I am at a point of asking for pointers, or suggestions. Not sure where to turn.  BTW the paper I am using is HP Universal Semi-Gloss Photo Paper.  At least that what the box says. The paper came with the printer,  it looks like semi gloss paper, but the box was opened and it may be just semigloss paper, (or not).. Anyway the prints look crappy, and It is starting to get a little frustrating.

-Thanks

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 10
Level 10
2,276 2,272 113 239
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hi,

First print the Image Diagnostic Print to make sure the nozzles on the working.

If there is no problem with the printheads run the calibrations in this order

- Paper Advance Calibration
- Printhead Alignment
- Color calibration

Now Download and install the HP Utility and use it to profile your paper by creating a Paper preset and ICC profile according to your paper.

This should give you better results when you select Application Manage Colors.

Also, take in consideration the paper. It is susceptible to environment changes, it has a limited color gamut.

Have you try any of the internal demos? To check the printer is working as I should. There are plenty for you to chose 🙂

Regards

Mike
Best regards

Mike G

I'm an HP Inc employee. But my response is not in behalf of HP Inc
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7
880 818 37 83
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Myself print photos, posters, giclee /canvas daily & very very concern with colors & print quality.

The hp glossy photo papers, satins, mat etc were all fine with good quality & clarity. Make sure image

quality were good in first place.

Calibrate your monitor... if you can.

You must calibrate the color for media you loaded....glossy photo paper, mat, satin, artis canvas etc. Only

do it the first time & no need to repeat later. But myself do it again from time to time, if feel colors not right. 

You do not need rip software & myself using photoshop cs5 all the time ...
Adobe now has Photoshop CC &  I do not care much.

Get the hp icc profile for your Z6100 printer & when you print, use  :

photoshop manage color...   hp icc profile for your media , myself use Z3200 44"

with 12 colors & ICC profile HP glossy/satin photo paper, even on canvas.

Also make sure pick print quality          best     , maximum, more  details, more passes  if your printer has

those options, better quality & much slower. so be patience.

Make sure the medias you buy compatible with pigmented ink.....  not solvent, eco   etc etc.

Do some small test prints, in order to find the best result for the media you are using.

Good luck.

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation