cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
shrtline
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Adding a network printer to a Vista Home Premium Edition 64-bit laptop

I have a Deskjet 5150 printer conntected to a desktop running on Windows XP.  It is set up as a shared network printer.  When I attempt to add this networked printer to my laptop has Vista Home Premium  Edition 64-bit OS, I get a message that states "The server for the 'hp deskjet 5100 series' printer does not have the correct printer driver installed.  If you want to search for the proper driver, click OK."  I can not find the *.INF file that is needed.  I have downloaded the proper driver to the desktop and my laptop, but I do not know where to "browse" in order to locate the file. 
0 Kudos
25 REPLIES 25
ichosethis1
2 1 0 0
Message 2 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i cant help, but if you figure it out please post the fix. i am suffering the same problem with a hp deskjet 722c attached to one of my xp machines that gives me the exact same error in vista 64. so dont worry you are not alone..............
0 Kudos
BaxBunny
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am having the same problem with windows vista 64 business and an HP laserjet1220. The printer is connected to a windows xp 32bit pc via parallel port. 

I beleive this is the same problem as the people before. I have tried installing drivers, addding the printer manually with ip addresses and names, no luck. Please help!
0 Kudos
hal6277
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am having the same problem trying to install a g85 printer connected to a xp computer to print (shared wireless) from a vista laptop. It would be helpful if HP or MS would post a solution.  Before installing the tools for the g85 on the xp computer my vista loptop was able to find and print to the g85, now the vista laptop says that the server for the "hp officejet g series" printer does not have the correct printer driver installed. (even though I have the printer install and can print via the USB). The message goes on to say the file ".inf" on unknown is needed.
0 Kudos
KenLong
Level 2
20 19 0 5
Message 5 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem. I have a 5150 printer attached to my desktop and my new laptop cant access it. I've downloaded the basic Vista printer driver, but this didnt help, I still get the message the server doesnt have the correct printer driver installed, and the message the file .inf is needed. HP driver download tells me the chosen driver is installed, but it is impossible to find it. It doesnt show on any lists or searches.

I've only been at this for 1 week, so far. I'll post more if I find something.

0 Kudos
KenLong
Level 2
20 19 0 5
Message 6 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Accessing Inkjet 5150 through my Windows XP desktop using a new Windows Vista laptop.

I can access the printer if I plug it directly into the laptop, but not through the Windows XP desktop. It gives me the error messages, The server for the 'hp deskjet 5100 series' printer does not have the correct printer driver installed, The file ".inf" on (Unknown) is needed.

I have installed the basic Vista printer driver for this printer on my Windows Vista laptop, but I cannot install it on the Windows XP desktop, the system protections block it.

So far, I have not figured out a permanent way through this problem. Pluging the printer directly into the laptop works, but it is not a workable solution. The only workable solution so far is to post any files to print in the Public Documents folder and access them from there. This requires turning on sharing for the Public folder, and accessing them and printing from the desktop computer that hosts the printer.

Still no way to do this directly from the laptop. I will be contacting HP Support next.

0 Kudos
m-squared
2 2 0 0
Message 7 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here we all are some months later with the same problem.  But what is really odd is that I am the only Vista on the network (64 bit), all the other (5) computers are XP. The printer directly hung off my computer works fine of course, but so does an HP 4100 dtn that is hung off one of the XPs.

However, an 8500 dn laserjet which is hung off another XP computer is having the same problem listed by others here. During the "add a printer" installation there is an error that the driver on the server is not installed, and the installation is aborted.

I have an HP computer, so naturally I thought I could get it to talk with the 8500 printer but no luck, and am quite dissappointed as HP usually is nearly obsessive with fixing things but is leaving us doing highly inconvenient work arounds.

Please let's keep on contacting HP to get this fixed.

0 Kudos
CamaroGuy
1 1 0 2
Message 8 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hope this helps, it worked for me

I used the shared printer name "printer" in printer propertys for mine.

Alternative method 1. 1. Click on the Windows icon>>Start Search>>Type printers and press enter. 2. Click on 'Add Printer'. 3. Click on 'Add a local printer'. 4. Click on 'Create a new port:'. 5. Do not change the 'Type of port:'. By default it is selected as 'Local Port'. Let it remain the same. 6. Click on 'Next'.

7. In the small 'Port name:' window, type the following under 'Enter a port name:'

NOTE: The names should be exactly the same. They are case sensitive.

\\computer name\printer name   

For instance: If computer name is 'John' and printer name is 'HPprinter', you have to type the exact name with all the characters including spaces.

Hence in this case it would be the following:

\\John\HPprinter

8. Click on OK.  9. Click on Next and complete the Wizard. (It will now install the printer and driver) I used the 7400 series driver for my 7550 but it works.10. Try to print a Windows test page and check the printer functionality. 1 Click on the Start icon on your Desktop.2.Select Control Panel.3.Double click on the Printer icon.4.Select and Right click on HP Photosmart 7550 Printer series icon.5.Click on Properties.

6.In the Properties Windows click on Print Test Page Tab it will start printing a Windows Test Page

KenLong
Level 2
20 19 0 5
Message 9 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Not the solution for this problem.

This installs the printer localy, and following these directions simply confirms that its already installed. Simply pluging the printer directly into the laptop also installs the printer and driver. And the 5150 works fine as a local printer. This method worked fine when I was setting up my Windows XP laptop years ago, but not now when the hosting computer is running Windows XP, and I am trying to connect to it from my Windows Vista laptop.

It still gives the, Connect to Printer, error:

The server for the 'hp deskjet 5100 series' printer does not have the correct printer driver installed. If you want to search for the proper driver, click OK. Otherwise, click cancel and contact your network administrator for the correct printer driver.

Followed by the, "file needed: Printer driver INF for hp deskjet 5100 series", message:

The file .INF on (Unknown) is needed.
Type the path where the file is located, and then click OK.

Problem: The driver is properly installed on the Vista laptop, and the printer runs fine when connected to the laptop. However, the remote server for this printer, my Windows XP desktop, does not have the proper Vista driver installed, and it rejects the driver instalation because the driver is meant for a computer running Vista. Further, the file .INF is needed, and what this file is, or where to find it is unknown to me.

0 Kudos
draggletailed
2 2 0 2
Message 10 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just purchased a vista home premiun computer and was having the same issue making my hp 5150 printer work through a networked xp system that the printer is physically attached to..It now works.. procedure= go to this address and download this driver http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?os=2093&softwareitem=dj-46093-3&lc=en&cc=us...  HP_Vista_SF_Ph1.exe ,,click on it and let it install. when it ask if installing a local or network printer  (choose network ) continue install. It may tell u the drivers may not install properly, ( install anyway ) It may again tell you the drivers did not install correctly ( do not fix just keep them installed incorrectly ) now leave the print test page window open.

Go to add printer wizard and install new printer ( network printer ) add a local port and type EXACTLY the same path to the xp based printer EXAMPLE= \\lisajunk\printer .....finish wizard and print test page...

I mayhave left out a couple of detailed clicks but most of it is self explanatory if you follow the onscreen directions , add the local port, name the local port correctly, and let the driver install incorrectly..I have tried a multitude of solutions and was shocked that this worked so i appologize for not remembering all the little details of the install..this my first experience with vista and do not like vista at all...xp is far superior to me thus far..

I hope you all get your printers working as i have !!!!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation