cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
z2aspen
3 2 0 1
Message 1 of 20
Flag Post

After a HP firmware update I get "Supply Memory Error" on black toner cartridge.

HP Recommended
MFP M277dw

After an HP firmware update I get "Supply Memory Error" on black toner cartridge. Replaced the cartgifge and still get the same error. Can the firmware be downgraded to the previous version? How do I do this? That way I could eliminate the update as causing the issue.

19 REPLIES 19
Cliffhanger1
Level 1
5 4 0 3
Message 2 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had the same situation on doing the firmware update. I'm on a Mac, using OS 10.11.

I went onto HP driver download support (http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers) and searched for my specific printer (Laserjet Pro MFP M277dw) driver, and changed my Operating System to 10.10. It found the older driver (version M277 MFP Series FW Update 20150716). I installed that driver and voila, no more "Supply Memory Error".

Tags (2)
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Coho
Level 1
9 7 0 2
Message 3 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When I try to update the firmware, I can't proceed because it says the "Device is in error state and cannot be reflashed becuase of this.  Resolve the problem and try again."  This is a circular situation.  I can't use the printer because the firmware update doesn't recognize my toner cartridges, so I try to install older driver but can't because of the error caused by the newer driver.  

Any suggestions how to proceed?

I happened to have 3 of 4 original (but empty) HP cartridges, which solved 3/4 of the problem, but without the 4th I'm stuck.

Thanks

Tags (1)
z2aspen
Author
3 2 0 1
Message 4 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I found the old firmware install package on the HP Support site. After installing all is well.

Tags (2)
Coho
Level 1
9 7 0 2
Message 5 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks.  I have the firmware package, but during installation it runs into the circularity problem.  I just don't know how to get around the error I'm trying to solve with the firmware update

Tags (1)
Gemini02
Retired
Retired
16,806 16,907 1,042 2,651
Message 6 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, Thanks for letting us know the firmware resolved the issue. For as the printer not being detected, the 4th toner will have to be inserted in order for the printer to be recognized without being in a error state to do the firmware update.

Thanks!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
Coho
Level 1
9 7 0 2
Message 7 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The firmware did not solve the problem.  In fact, it caused the problem.  HP has deliberately rendered my 3rd party toner cartridges useless, and the only way to resolve the problem, including down-grading the firmware, is to purchase and install HP cartridges.  This should be a warning to all potential HP customers that HP will alter its products to the detriment of its customers.  Everyone should scream about this bad behavior from the highest mountain to shame HP away from this coercive behavior.  All the positive feelings I've had about HP in the past have evaporated.  [Content Removed]

Tags (4)
Gemini02
Retired
Retired
16,806 16,907 1,042 2,651
Message 8 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Coho,

I was referring to @z2aspen.

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.
Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.
Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details. In the forum beside your handle name, just click on the envelope to view it.

Thank you.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
RLM8
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 9 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I agree.  I did the same thing and am in a bind.  I can not print anything and I have 4 almost brand new cartridges.  HP should not be able to control who I buy them from.  I have never had a problem to date.  It just so happens my warranty expired a month ago and I can't even call customer service and no one replied to my email either.  Horrible customer service! [Content Removed]

Tags (2)
RLM8
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 10 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Where did you locate this older version?  I am unable to find it.  I can only access the newer version. 

Tags (1)
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation