Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
O O. OOOOOO. O. O. OOO. O. O. OOOO O. O. O. O. O. O. O O. O. O O O. O. O. O. O. O. O O. O. O. O OOOOOOO. OOOOO. O. O. O. O OOOOOOO. OOOO O. O. O. O. O. O. O O. O. O O. O. O. O. O. O. O O. O. O O. O. OOOOOO. OOOO. OOOO. OOO O. O. O Are you out there? Please respond to your forum members and let us know if there are any upgrades available now or in the pipeline to allow AirPrinting. Similar situation to other posts, bought printer due to best reviews at the time, one year ago and expected the latest wireless capabilities, only now I cannot print from iPhone or iPad. Very frustrating! If I need to buy a printer we printer just to allow AirPrint, it won't be HP.
HP Recommended

There is an itunes application you can get called Print n Share that will enable you to print email, web pages, files, etc.  I have been using this successfully on my 8500 909 version printer.  I was pretty pissed off at HP too for not having this feature available for this printer.

HP Recommended

The printer was already on the market well before airprint was available. There are currently no airprint printers available that are NOT e-all in ones that i know of. If you would like to use airprint itself unfortunately the only option is to upgrade to a different model.

There is however an app called HP Eprint Home and Bizthat HP has released for printing to older models that do not support airprint. This will not support all file formats, but you can open any images and most documents from within the app to print, and it does have a web browser built in as well for printing websites.

Jon-W
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the KUDOS STAR on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
Can the HP Officejet pro 8500 receive print commands via wireless, printair, and ethernet cable?
HP Recommended
I definitely agree with the previous comments regarding HP's callous lack of support for the A909G. I have had to use an Android app that is also available for iOS called PrintShare. This app supports hundreds of wifi printers from many manufacturers. PrintShare is much more versatile with Android than with iOS. Also, PrintShare has to main problems. 1. You can only print by using PrintShare's proprietary web browser or gmail client to print directly from a document. Or you can also cut & paste something into PrintShare for wifi printing. 2. You can only print with the premium version of PriintShare which costs $10 per download. If you want to print from three different devices, that is $30. Of course upgrades are free. This is a very clunky solution to what should be a non-problem. Maybe there are some hackers out there that can hack the A909G firmware to work with with AirPrint. If the hack turns the A909G into a desk anchor, you are no worse off than having to buy an Appple compatible printer.
HP Recommended

I understand that the issue with the older model is that firmware doesn't fix the problem, it's hardware limited.   To print a webpage from ipad: create an image from the webpage (press home and power button) then go to the hp utility to pint the picture.    IT's not perfect, but is often enough to get the job done.

I ended up buying the newer version and handing the older printer over to my parents.     My ink supply was my biggest concern - didn't want to pitch good ink so they can use it.

HP Recommended

Why no firmware update so we can use airprint? seems ... shortsighted.

Love the printer, dislike the limitation.

HP Recommended
Ah.So I see that the hardware limited addition came in when I was posting...
HP Recommended

Ok, so a firmware solution is out. The PrinterShare software solution is clunky. You can print to a printer that is shared by a Mac or PC, but who wants to turn on their computer every time you want to print from on iOS device? Given that I and everyone else using iOS devices want to be able to print natively and directly to a wifi printer, there are only two solutions left. Either you buy a new AirPrint capable printer for a couple of hundred dollars or more, or you buy the Lantronix xPrintServer for $150.

http://www.lantronix.com/it-management/mobile-print-servers/xprintserver.html

xPrintServer is the solution I finaly chose. It works as advertised. Just plug it into your router, plug in the power cable, and it works instantly. Just about any network printer, wifi or not, is recognized by AirPrint. Just select your printer and print. So sweet!

HP Recommended

Ok, so a firmware solution is out. The PrinterShare software solution is clunky. You can print to a printer that is shared by a Mac or PC, but who wants to turn on their computer every time you want to print from on iOS device? Given that I and everyone else using iOS devices want to be able to print natively and directly to a wifi printer, there are only two solutions left. Either you buy a new AirPrint capable printer for a couple of hundred dollars or more, or you buy the Lantronix xPrintServer for $150.

http://www.lantronix.com/it-management/mobile-print-servers/xprintserver.html

xPrintServer is the solution I finally chose. It works as advertised. Just plug it into your router, plug in the power cable, and it works instantly. Just about any network printer, wifi or not, is recognized by AirPrint. Just select your printer and print. So sweet!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.