cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Barcode printing to large on M506 but works on 2400

HP Recommended
M506

We have replaced a laserjet 2400 with a M506 but now the barcodes printed on the lables that work on the 2400 are printing hugh on the M506. The 2400 prints OCR readabel size and the M506 prints 4 times bigger. No other changes were made.

The manule said ite M506 is PCL complient but there must be adifference somewhere?

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 9
3,562 3,538 282 589
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm assuming that when you say "... M506 prints 4 times bigger ..." you mean that the barcode image prints large, but that all other objects (text and perhaps other images) print at "normal" size?

It's possibly something to do with raster resolution settings, but (without diagnostic evidence) very difficult to confirm, or to be more precise.

When you mention "... PCL compliant ...", this possibly implies that you are using a 'bespoke' application to insert the barcodes in the print stream?

Are you able to 'print to file' a (small, with 'sanitised' data) sample document?

If so, you can analyse the resultant .prn file, to try to determine what is going on, using the PRN File Analyse tool in the PCL Paraphernalia application, available via http://www.pclparaphernalia.eu

If you can't understand the analysis, send the .prn file me, via support 'at' pclparaphernalia.eu, and I'll be able to tell you what you are generating.

... and I may then be able to suggest what you need to do (although this would depend to an extent on what changes you can make to your 'application').

Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for that. Yes it is bespoke software. Its print output from a DSM system so quite old. The barcode is embedded in aplable with text. The text prints as instructed in 12 CPI  66 lines per page but the barcode is printing at 4 times the character size. The application was not changed in any way. All we did is change the printer. The old PCL language with the correct esc squences was fully supported in PCL4. This is the first printer that is PCL6. We had asked if the backward compatability is exists and were told that the new one isfully compatible with the old PCL languag. :Crying:

I have set the setting on the M506 up to match the config sheet from the 2400 but it daoes not change. Unfrotunately the output from this system would be in rpt for so I do not know if that would work with the software you suggested. If it does I can generate a clean version with sample data 

Thank you again for the suggestion

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
3,562 3,538 282 589
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The Laserjet Enterprise M506 printer only understands traditional Page Description LanguagesPCL 6, PCL 5, Postscript level 3 emulation, native PDF printing (v 1.7).

(As far as I can make out, the LaserJet 2400 supports the same PDLs).

Of these PDLs (given your previous comments):

• You are almost certainly not generating PostScript or PDF print jobs.
  • You are almost certainly not generating PCL6 (PCL XL) print jobs, because you can't sucessfully 'insert' PCL4/5 escape sequences into such a job (you'd just end up with PCL XL errors being reported).
  • It is almost certain that you are using the PCL5 'personality'.

PCL5 supports most (all?) PCL4 escape sequences, although there can be some differences in effect; for example:

• Different resident font sets are used/assumed.
  • There may be differences in the default graphics resolution assumed by default.

>> ... output from a DSM system ...

>> ... the output from this system would be in rpt ...

I've no idea what a "DSM system" is, nor what "rpt" is in this context; whatever it is, the printer won't understand it (unless it's a synonym for PCL).

Without seeing a 'captured' .prn file of the PCL escape sequences which would normally be sent to the device, I can't be more specific.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Barcode1.jpg

Thats the code I can get as when I go and ll the print from the queue. DSM is an old ALpha server programming and databse language

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
3,562 3,538 282 589
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I can't yet see your posted image - these sometimes take a number of hours to be "approved".

I'm out tomorrow (50th anniversary meeting), so will look at this when I return.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
3,562 3,538 282 589
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I can now see your posted image, but it doesn't tell me a great deal, since it is not PCL format.

However, the bit that you've marked out:

Capture.PNG

is presumably some sort of 'mark-up' instructions to your application to insert some data and (primitive) PCL escape sequences.

From this, I can speculate:

• The "0T" may be the typeface element of a PCL font selection sequence; if so, it may be intended to select a (previously downloaded or installed) bar-code soft font.

• The "*1810803*" looks like the data (including start/stop characters) relevant to a Code 39 bar-code.

• The "4099T" may be the typeface element of a PCL font selection sequence, selecting the Courier font (with which to print other text characters).

• The "H/T" and "N/L" items probably represent Horizontal Tab and New Line control-code characters respectively. 

• I've no idea what the other items represent in this ("rpt"?) format. 

If this speculation is correct, then it would appear that the bar-code is probably being printed using a (previously downloaded) soft font.

If your application was originally intended for PCL4 printers, it is very likely that the bar-code soft font is a bitmap font which is in the original (and now deprecated) Format 0 "bitmap" format.

This format knows nothing about printers with different native resolutions, so the chances are quite high that text printed using this font will print at different sizes on different generations of printers.

Converting it to a Format 20 "resolution-specified" format may well yield results.

If you think that this is the case, and you can locate (on your workstation) the file containing the font definition (the content of which is being downloaded to the printer at some point by your application), then send me the file and I can do the conversion for you.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation