cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
PetraL Top Student
Top Student
3 2 0 2
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Black ink does not print

Deskjet 3522
Windows 7

My HP Deskjet 3522 has stopped printing anything in black.  Colors print fine.  

I have cleaned the printhead 5 times, run numerous printer test pages, and have downloaded and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor utility.  There is some improvement, now black text prints in a very faint bluish grey which I guess is better than nothing at all.

I have read on the forum that this is a rather common problem and am surprised that there is no solution provided by HP.  I understand that if you don't print often there can be some dried up ink clogging up the printhead.  I print on a regular basis and replace my cartridges regularly.  

About 2 years ago this happened with my previous HP rinter.  I replaced it with this one.  Have I reached the end of an HP printer's life cycle?  If so, I am probably not inclined to get another HP even though I have always enjoyed using HP printers.

Does anyone know a solution to this problem?

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Master's Graduate Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
385 375 23 102
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Black ink does not print

Hi PetraL,

I'm sorry to hear your printer is having issues with black ink. 

I see you have tried several troubleshooting steps already. Have you followed this document regarding black ink issues in the order presented?

Sometimes this issue occurs with non-HP or refilled cartridges. Other times, the vents on the cartridges could be clogged.

I suggest to troubleshoot through the document I linked to. If that doesn't work, let me know. 🙂

Thanks!

-- ReverseTalk
I work on behalf of HP.
Click the thumbs up + button to thank me. Mark Accepted Solution if I solved your inquiry.
0 Kudos
PetraL Top Student
Top Student
3 2 0 2
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Black ink does not print

Hi Tutor,

Thank you for your reply.  Unfortunately it did not help.  I had found the linked document earlier today and have done all that was recommended in it.

Since, after doing all this troubleshooting, the printer at least prints  a light bluish grey in place of black,  where before there was nothing at all,  something appears to be clogged and I was partially successful in clearing the clog.   

When black first stopped printing last night, I used a brand new black cartridge --  I always use genuine HP products.

PetraL

Master's Graduate
385 375 23 102
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Black ink does not print

Hi again,

That's good to hear you're using genuine HP cartridges. HP cannot guarantee refilled or non-HP cartridges. And that leads me to this:

So a black cartridge ran out last night, and you replaced it. Did you have issues after you replaced the cartridge or before (or both)?

From the sounds of it, you are having issues with a new cartridge. If that's the case, you should check the warranty status. If it's a defective cartridge out of the box, it should be under warranty. To check the warranty on your ink supplies, go to hp.com/go/learnaboutsupplies , select your country/region, and then review the limited warranty information for your supplies.

I'm hoping that helps! 

-- ReverseTalk
I work on behalf of HP.
Click the thumbs up + button to thank me. Mark Accepted Solution if I solved your inquiry.
PetraL Top Student
Top Student
3 2 0 2
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Black ink does not print

A Day later -- IT PRINTS IN BLACK!  Thank you for all your help.  

After it started printing black text in a light bluish grey I was hoping that it would only be a matter of time for the black ink to saturate the printhead again which it now has.  

Basically it took:

- Using the printhead cleaning utility several times

- Making sure the venting slot on the ink cartridge is not clogged

- Swabbed the place where the black ink goes into the printhead with a q-tip soaked in rubbing alcohol

- Running numerous test pages

- and lastly some time for the ink to flow again

Problem solved.  Thank you again.

Master's Graduate
385 375 23 102
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Black ink does not print

Woohoo! Glad that worked. 

Yes... sometimes the cartridge simply needs to sit. In the future (if you're not in need of a rush print job), I would recommend letting the printer sit overnight before running all those cleaning pages. Printers go through automatic servicing tasks, so that might have been one of the things it needed. 

Thanks for letting me know what worked for you! 🙂

-- ReverseTalk
I work on behalf of HP.
0 Kudos
five10mommy Top Student
Top Student
4 2 0 2
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Black ink does not print

I recently had this problem where my black ink jet stopped working after I installed a new cartridge.  The printer was just a couple of months outside the warranty period,so I was stuck.  I went online and found HP instructions.  Following the different troubleshooting suggestions, I took out the cartridge and installed another new one.  The problem was still there.  After following every other advice given (such as aligning, cleaning cartridge heads, etc.) and using up all of the ink in my brand new expensive color cartridges, the only solution HP could give me was get it serviced ($90 just for someone to look at it!) or buy a new one (what a waste!).  

So, I tried my own solution, which is as follows:   (1) completely remove the sticker from the vented side of the cartridge; (2) run the point of a safety pin through the vent (the whole trail); (3) wipe the circle where the ink comes out with a wet paper towel until it cleans to almost white; (4) over a paper towel, blow forcefully into the hole near the middle and then squeeze the sides of the ink jet until the ink squirts out (be careful as the ink may project out quickly and will stain clothes, carpet, etc.); (5) when the circle is completely saturated, re-install the ink cartridge; (6) using the copier function, print a copy of a document that is just black and white; (7) repeat about 2 to 3 times until the copies come out perfectly.  

This resolved my problem; unfortunately, it was after I followed all the nonsense steps HP puts out that used up all my other cartridges.  Hope I can save someone the trouble.

lighthousedon Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Black ink does not print

Myproblem started with a half full black cartridge that stoped printing in black, so I replaced it with a brand new HP cartridge, and it still does not print in black.

0 Kudos
Master's Graduate
385 375 23 102
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Black ink does not print

Hi lighthousedon,

What printer are you having issues with?

-- ReverseTalk
I work on behalf of HP.
0 Kudos
lighthousedon Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Black ink does not print

I am using a HP Photosmart 6520 printer, it prints, scans and copys.....

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation