Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
05-24-2017 11:15 AM
The 63XL black replacement cartridge will not work in the printer, even though the box the cartridge came in says that it will work with the 3830. I get a message on the printer's screen that says "the indicated cartridges are not for use in this printer." The previous 63 cartridge worked OK until it ran dry. The XL version does not work. The printer will not recognize it. I paid over thirty bucks for the cartridge and now what do I do? Also, there appears to be no phone number I can dial to get me to an HP help desk that could give me some quick answers, and QUICK ANSWERS are what I need!
05-25-2017 11:56 AM
Thanks for stopping by the HP community. A very good day to you. 🙂 I reviewed the post regarding the 63XL cartridge not working on the printer although it states that it is compatible. I will be delighted to assist you here. 🙂
Superb description and stupendous diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂 You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you with it
To assist you with accurate information I would require more information regarding this.
- Did you try to remove and reinstall the cartridge?
- Did you check if the packing material on the cartridge has been removed or not?
It may be a faulty cartridge. For now please perform all the prescribed steps from this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-deskjet-ink-advantage-3830-all-in-one-printer-series/7172328... and check if it resolves the issue.
- Step 1: Make sure that the ink cartridges are compatible
- Step 2: Remove, inspect, and then reseat the ink cartridges
- Step 3: Clean the ink cartridge contacts
- Step 4: Remove and then reinsert the ink cartridges again
- Step 5: Clean the ink cartridge contacts again
- Step 6: Restart the printer
- Step 7: Replace the ink cartridge
- Step 8: Align the ink cartridges
- Step 9: Service the printer
If it still does not work, either the cartridge or the printer is faulty and one of them needs to be replaced. By contacting HP phone support.
HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true
- (1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.
- (2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.
- (3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.
- (4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.
- They will be happy to assist you immediately. If the unit is under warranty repair services is taken care of by the manufacturer’s warranty
Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, please. Please note that I am not overloading you with a lot of troubleshooting steps. Instead, just like you, I am eager to ensure that the problem gets resolved. So I am providing you with more resources and information at your disposal to deal with the situation better.
Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.
To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.
Take care now and have a terrific week ahead. 🙂
I am an HP Employee
05-25-2017 07:57 PM
I tried all the potential fixes you mentioned, and they did not work. (They were already outlined on the HP trouble-shooting pages.) Rather than take a chance on going back to the store and exchanging the cartridge for a hopefully perfect XL copy that might still not work, I took it back and sweet talked the returns clerk inro giving me a refund. I then went to another store that had the standard 63 cartidge and purchased that at half the price of the XL version. (I assume that the XL runs twice as many copies as the standard cartridge, so the net costs would be the same in the long run.) I installed the standard cartridge and it works fine. I will stick with the standard cartridges from now on. Keep making them, please.
05-26-2017 12:05 PM
Thank you for the update,
I appreciate your time and efforts,
I'm glad you found the solution you were looking for.
Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution
You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.
I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉
To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.
And accept this as the solution to help others find your post helpful.
Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
I am an HP Employee