cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 3
43 30 3 4
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Solved!

Bottom Line, there is no answer why C7280 can't re-install with Solution Center.

HP Recommended

XP Student/Home/ some Pro programs

1.2g memory

Service Pak 3

Toshiba Satellite Tablet (circe 2006, the old tablet's with the swivel screen, not the new tiny ones)

HP C7280 All-in-One Printer ... wireless

The first time, the very first time I installed the new C7280 wireless on this machine back in 2006 was a bear. Apparently after hours with tech support they said it was because a Lexmark printer was installed also. I never knew you could not have 2 printers installed at one time?  Finally we got it to work.  Then it didn't. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling. It either says it's already there (is that a registry entry falsely telling so?) or that is can't find any wireless printers. 

On advice I went to the printer setup and manually found my router and it's now got that infor on board. I can now print with any program that prints. However all the funtionality of Solution Center is lost becuase when it gets to that part of intstalling it hangs. So I turned all background programs off ... it still does.  Apparently I can't get this HP completely off the HD and so it wants to think there is HP already present.

The only recourse I can see is to do a full recovery with disks!!!!  Then install it.  Do you know what that means?  All the services paks, all the updates for the last 6 years!!  Daunting!!  I wonder can I even still find the Service paks and updates for XP?

I cannot figure how somone has not come across a remedy for this. I've tried every suggestion I know of.  But bottom line, there must be no answer how to get this C7280 working full function every again. It's been a pain since the beginning. Now as far as the printer, I have not complaints, it's worked 6 years not problem, but the associated softeware has been very disappointing .... very!  😞   jack    (I'm open to anything you may think I haven't tried. 

I tried writing my signature in this box on the screen but it doesn't seem to work? :v lol
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 10
4,377 4,354 444 578
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am sorry to hear about your difficulties, but I am going to do what I can to resolve them. First, just to establish a good base line to work from, lets perform a complete and clean uninstallation and reinstallation. 

First if you use a USB cord, make sure to remove it. Do not plug it back in until the software directs you to. Then go through the Devices and Printers, Programs and Features and Device Manager folders and insure that all copies, files, and programs related to the printer are removed. Then as directed, restart the computer. 

In the START menu type "%temp%" and press ENTER. Here I want you to press Ctrl+A and hit DELETE. Some of the files will not allow you to delete them, skip those files and delete the majority that allows it. 

Then follow this link to download the full feature software and drivers for the printer: 

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-52268-5&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

Install that and let me know the result! 

Have a great day!
:smileyhappy:

Highlighted
Author
Level 3
43 30 3 4
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I appreciate your stick withitness with my issue. My solution was simple. I was going to buy a new pc anyway. I did with Windows 8, with it's own issues, and since this is the primary pc now I downloaded the Win8 full program for the C7280 printer and of course, it's all good now. That was my solution. It was just too may steps and trials and variations of a fix on the XP machine. HOWEVER, when I get my new machine as I want it, I'm going to do a factory reset on the XP machine, which runs fine, and then install the XP version on it.

Fraidey Catz way out but that's how it's settled. I'm going to mark your suggestion as SOLVED as I beieve it would have.

Once again, thanks for your time and info.  jack  :manhappy:

I tried writing my signature in this box on the screen but it doesn't seem to work? :v lol
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation