Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi, my 4 year old OJ J6480 started showing carriage jam error yesterday, and then paper jam... after several hours of trying everything I could find on the web with no avail, decided to open it up... I noticed near the right side cover a part fell and a small plastic gear was broken in it. this part (I think) is responsible for moving the cartridges platform back and forth in the printer. Without it the printer obviously doesn't want to print anything..

I've attached the image I took of the part along with the broken gear which is about 15mm in diameter, 4mm bore size and 3mm thick. Does anybody know where to get such part? I couldnt find the PN on it, if unavailable, maybe I can just replace the gear from somewhere? the part itself sems intact.

Any help would be appreciated. it would be a great shame to throw a perfectly working printer because of a part that probably cost couple cents...

Regards!

broken_hp_printer_gear.jpg

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi ronenbu,

This is not what would be considered a "user replaceable" part, so HP does not offer it as an orderable part. However, someone else in the community may know where to get such a part (or compatible replacement).

Good luck on your search.

🙂 If I have helped in any way, just click the Kudos star on the left. Also, if your issue has been resolved, don't forget to select Accept as Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

ronenbu,

I check the HP Part Surfer store and was unable to find any part number for that gear. 

Here is the link if you want to check it out yourself: http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=CB783A

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended
I have the same issue, did you ever find a new gear, or assembly with the gear.

Thanks, Brian
HP Recommended

This is sad, I have the same issue and I found another post with the same exact issue..

it would appear, that HP wants you to buy a brand new printer vs. replacing a less than $20 part.

but Im not even sure what the part number is... I can barely see it but I think its PC 10GF

sense the manual dont show this part and there is NO HP support to fix or replace this part, and I dont know the part name or the part number, How can I get it replaced or repaired?

Im NOT even sure if it is even called a "gear" Im just going by what ive found on other posts.

It would seem to me if I have paid what ever I paid for this printer which was up in the hundreds... that HP would at least support their own product and allow me to replace an obviouslly defective part, that more than ONE person is having the same issue.

Im getting the "Paper Jam" error message when I know that there is NO paper jammed

I took the printer apart visually, meaning... I understand exactly how the paper is fed, how the mechanism works. after learning about how everything works in my printer, I realized that this part had fallen off or broke inside of my printer. When I was looking in the area of the ink, which where I thought my issue was NOT a paper jam. I took off the right side access panel (because I couldnt not take off anything else, I need a special tool, thanks to HP) immediatly I saw this black piece that looks like some type of gear. I had no idea where it goes.

#1 when I put the part back on the printer, it will not stay, it will work itself back off

#2 there are 2 gears on this part but there seems to be a place for a 3rd gear, (but no one shows a good enough image for me to be sure if its 2 gears or 3) from my best guess, it appears to be a gear missing.

#3 how was the customer supposed to know what the part name or number is? and this is NOT an accident that many people are having the SAME EXACT issue.

no one has a solution, pointing me to another website is NOT a solution. so why say that the issue has been resolved when it has NOT?

j6480 GEAR.jpgHP J6480 BROKEN GEAR.jpg

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem with a similar printer from the same series, Officejet J6410 aka CB029A. The 15 tooth, 14-15 mm diameter spur gear that was press-fitted on the 4 mm diameter clutch shaft did not bear up the workload and got cracked, so the black clutch gearbox became unattached and fell off. Since the clutch actuates the paper feed drive when the printer head is parked all the way to the right, without this gear the paper feed is impaired thus triggering the paper jam sensors.

The clutch assembly gearbox has only 2 gears, the small plastic 'shaft' acts only as a spacer.

If you have the ability to fabricate a cut/molded replica in brass/epoxy/plexiglas, a zoomed-out photo is below - consider the shadows, the slight larger dimensions due to the crack, and that the bore diameter is 4 mm to fit the shaft. The grid is 5 mm.

HP OfficeJet J6410 15t spittoon clutch gear

A replacement that looks identical could be "Clutch Gear Set for HP 7000 Officejet". A Google search will point to a large Chinese online shop where you can purchase a replacement for under US$8 plus shipping (aliexpress.com/item/Clutch-Gear-Set-for-HP-7000-Officejet-printer-spare-parts/2021088520.html). The advantage of replacing the entire clutch assembly is that the gear comes factory press-fitted, which should fix the problem and extend your printer's life.

HP Recommended

banthony, a replacement that looks identical could be "Clutch Gear Set for HP 7000 Officejet" and is currently available at a large Chinese online shop for under US$8 plus shipping (aliexpress.com/item/Clutch-Gear-Set-for-HP-7000-Officejet-printer-spare-parts/2021088520.html).

The advantage of replacing the entire clutch assembly is that the gear comes factory press-fitted, which should fix the problem and extend your printer's life.

HP Recommended

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Spare-Parts-for-HP-7000-Fuser-Gear/32628539729.html

This seems to be the part you are looking for. It is called a fuser gear. I've ordered the clutch gear set for my J6480. This just seems to be the gear...not sure if it is the entire assembly of the part that was loose in your video, or if it is actually just a gear.

Incidently, I have the same damned problem with my printer. Kept getting "clear paper jam" error message although there was no paper jam anywhere. I peered down through the internals and saw the same piece you identified as lying loose in the printer cabinet. Still trying to figure out how to get that entire right-side plastic off, but I'll get there sooner or later. Going to go slowly so that I don't damage or break anything.

Anyway, thought you might like seeing this.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.