cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

C3100 HP Photosmart noise at startup

HP Recommended

On startup and before printing, the printer makes a loud noise, sort of like the ratchet sound on a party noisemaker. This just started recently. The noise seems to be coming from behind the ink cartridges. We did make sure the cartridges were seated securely. The prints themselves come out ok, but the noise is really obnoxious.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
3,707 4,118 239 423
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello DB1945,

Welcome to the HP Forums! I understand your Photosmart C3100 is making loud noises before printing a document. Please make sure this printer is into a direct wall, not a surge protector.

Usually, there could be a list of possibilities why this printer is making loud noises. Please try these troubleshooting steps:

Follow this HP document on The Product Makes Noise when Printing and The Printer Makes a Grinding Noise When It is Turned On or Printing.

Also, sometimes if there is paper stuck inside the printer, it can make loud noises. Please follow this HP document on Carriage Jam just to double check.

Let me know how your progress goes.

I worked on behalf of HP.
0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, 

I have the same problem as previously mentioned, but have noticed a few extra things that happen:

Once you've selected print, to print a page, the ink cartridges roll to the right and stop over the cartridge cleaners. The cleaning tray being fully at the rear of its travel, then tries to go further back, thereby jumping a gear a few times.

Its seems as though the logic or a sensor is out of phase. ie not knowing where the cleaning tray is and tries to pull the cleaning tray back when it is already at the back.

Is this a software glitch ? Ive taken the printer apart, couldnt find any broken bits, cvleaned it up and put it back and it still does the same thing. 

It also does this when you open the front cover. It tries to pull the cleaning tray further back when it is already at the back position.

I did notice the small shaft that is loose alowing it to move up and down had jumped out of its slot, I put it back but there is still no difference, still grinds away.

There is no problem with paper feeding or printing, just as you start a print it grinds(jumping gears) and then gets on with the print.

Help please

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation