Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
RAStrong1963 Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

C410A Windows 7 x64 Driver Install Issue - Fatal Error

I have a clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium x64 on a HP m8330f. The C410a driver package from the website installed flawlessly on both Windows 8 x64 machines.

However on the W7x64 I get fatal error hpoins52.dax, invalid drive R:\ network64.msi error 1603.

I have tried the basic driver install, the reg32.dll, I unmapped my actual "r" drive everything I found through Google with no joy. I did not attempt the more complicated techno geek things as those usually cause more problems than they fix.

I did have c309a drivers and its entire suite installed previously with no problems. I ran a registry cleaner as well.

Is there a program that will clean all old HP programs and I have a fresh copy of W7x64 on my machine. I am can manually add the driver but all I can do is print I can't scan. Actually if I could get the scan function to work I would be happy.

Ideas anyone that are fairly simple to do and will get the desired results.

12 REPLIES
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
4871 300 927
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hello RAStrong1963

There is a document for troubleshooting Fatal Error 1603, follow the link below.
Fatal Error 'Error 1603. A fatal error occurred during installation' (MSI Error 1603) Displays Durin...

If the problem persists tell me a little about your setup. Based on the error it seems as if the installer is trying to point to yoru R:\ drive for some reason. Is it just a back up driver or a separate partition? You mention doing a clean install, did you completely format the hard drive and install Windows on it or did you use the HP recovery?
Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
0 Kudos
RAStrong1963 Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Travis,

I did attempt that option, from the CD, the web package both the full and driver only.  All came up with the same error.  I tried elevating permisions as well.

My "R" drive is a mapped network drive.  I unmapped it and got the same error.

Yes, this is a fresh install of W7x64.  I did the upgrade x32 from the machines Vista but I had to many issues to include blue screens so I formated and re-enstalled from the W&x64 DVD.  However, I did leave the partition that has the factory image as I though its probably linked to the BIOS and maybe I may want to roll back if I ever sell thae machine.

This might be the problem maybe, I dont know. But how would you work around it? 

0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
4871 300 927
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hello RAStrong1963

Try the following instructions to locate network64.msi

1. Open the start menu and type "%temp%" into the run/search box and press enter.
2. Locate a folder that starts with 7z and look for the folder named Setup
3. In the Setup folder should be a folder named "Network64". Inside should be Network64.msi
4. Try running network64.msi and see if it installs. If it does not resolve the problem try copying it to R:\ and see if it will run properly.

Let me know if you can't locate the 7z folder or the .msi file.
Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

0 Kudos
RAStrong1963 Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I found the folder, I have several 7z folders as I guess I have tried this several times.  I ran the network64.msi at leat I think it ran.  I got a new error message 1327 Invalid drive R:\ msi scan.

So I am guessing move the entire 7z to the R drive and try again from there?  I take it for some reason it wants to look there for the set up files? Or move a copy and run the instal from the temp folder?

0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
4871 300 927
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hello RAStrong1963

Based on the new error it sounds like the installer(s) are all looking to the R:\ drive. There are two things we can try at this point.

First, we can try and trick Windows installer. To do so copy the entire contents of the 7z folder to the root directory of the R:\ drive. By doing so it should be able to find all the files it has been looking for.

The second way is to "scrub" the printer software. By doing so it should remove all traces of the printer software and any HP related registry entries that may be pointing to the wrong directories during installation

0 Kudos
RAStrong1963 Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Lets go for the remaval and re-install I have tried it from the R drive and unmapping the drives.  Is there a program that will clean the registry and all traces?

0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
4871 300 927
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hello RAStrong1963

Yes, in certain HP printer drivers there are some special uninstall procedures. Just follow the steps below, and let me know what happens? The first step is to clean out your temporary folder.

Step one: Clear temp directory
Type %temp% in the run or search for programs and files field
Highlight all the files in this folder, and then press the delete key to delete. If you get a message that the file is in use you will need to skip this file(s).
Continue with Step 2 below
Step two: Downloaded and extracted to your system:
1. Download the full feature software and drivers
Photosmart C410a Full Feature Software
2. Once the download is finished double click on the file to extract the software.
3. When the installation window opens press the cancel button to stop the installation
4. Type %temp% in the run or search for programs and files field
5. Look for, and open the folder starting with 7z (Example: 7zS2356)
6. Right click on the folder, and select Copy
7. Close that window, and all your open windows, and then in the middle of the desktop right click your mouse, and select Paste. This will move the 7z folder to your desktop.
8. Open the 7z folder you just copied to your desktop
9. Open folder Util
10. Open folder CCC
11. Run the uninstall_L4
12. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer
13. Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tools folder under all programs
14. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player
Adobe Flash Player
15. Open the 7z folder, and then double click on the Setup.exe file which will be toward the bottom of the open window. Follow the on screen instructions to reinstall your printer.

RAStrong1963 Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I thought we had a winner with that one.. No Joy, new fatal error invalid drive R msi.netdevicemanager40

I really do appreciate you helping me though, this is a very odd issue...

0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
4871 300 927
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hello RAStrong1963

You are welcome. I too am a bit baffled. So based on what keeps happening something keeps pointing to your R:\ drive for some reason. If scrubbing the software did not resolve the problem then you might have to give into the Microsoft Software Installer's "demands". What I mean is you may need to locate the proper files and put them where they are being looked for.

Before that though lets try something different. Microsoft has a utility called Microsoft FixIt which can help with a variety of problems. The one I am linking below will help you with install and uninstall problems. I would suggest using to uninstall the printer. It will search the registry and remove as many entries as it finds relating to what you choose to uninstall.
Microsoft FixIt

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation