Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Student
Message 1 of 7 (6,086 Views)

C4680 is "Offline" HOW DO I MAKE IT GO ONLINE???!

ive restarted it, reconnected all the wires, i cant seem to get the mac to recognize the printers connected. Could the wire from the mac to the printer be bad? It's one i had from my previos hp printer 1610. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 7 (6,080 Views)

Re: C4680 is "Offline" HOW DO I MAKE IT GO ONLINE???!

You could try a different USB cord.  Stranger things have happened.

You can also reset the printing system and re-add the printer:

- Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
- Right (control) click the printer list area and select Reset Printing System.
- Select the plus sign to re-add it. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
Student
Message 3 of 7 (6,034 Views)

My HP C4680 goes offline very often (about once a day).   I do not want to have to reset  and readd printers each time it goes offline (I have another printer I use, too).  Most printers allow you to put them back online with a button.  Isn't there an easier way to put it back online?   What causes this printer to go offline so often?

Provost
Message 4 of 7 (6,025 Views)

Try a printer reset - turn it off, unplug power from both the wall and the back of the printer.  Wait 2 minutes.  Plug it all back in and turn it on.

I am employed by HP

Student
Message 5 of 7 (2,751 Views)

Somehow printer has taken turn to be offline unable to see through the trees to see an answer thought I would ask someone who might provide a clue or two, Thanks in advance, dumboldman

Provost
Message 6 of 7 (2,744 Views)

Is the printer connected to your computer with USB?  Make sure it is plugged directly into your Mac, not through a USB hub.

Change the USB cable.

Reset the printing system:

- Go to System Preferences > Print & Scan
- Right (or control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add a printer. Select the Defualt tab on the top of the window. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

What version of OS X are you using?

I am employed by HP

Student
Message 7 of 7 (1,569 Views)

Off line issues.

I am VERY serious about purchasing a new printer, sorry NOT an HP, for the soul reason the HP that I have now constantly goes off line.

If I need to do what is suggested to go back on line, then why do I need HP?

I am one small individual you (HP) are huge, me, leaving, as a customer will, I sure, not cause anyone to loose any sleep.

Sincerely,

Paul E. Martin

PS There is no need to respond.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation