cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

C4780 Wireless Issues with Windows 7

HP Recommended

Hello,

I've been having some problems keeping my HP C4780 connected to my HPDV8t laptop (running Windows 7).  I installed the printer correctly for wireless and currently have three computers wirelessly connected to it (my HP laptop, a Macbook Pro, and an iMac).  I've never had any issues printing wirelessly with wither of the Macs.

On the HP, I was printing fine for the first 3-4 days.  I see the printer available in all applications, however, it doesn't appear under the device manager (printer and faxes).  The only thing that appears is the "My PC" Icon, which prompts me to troubleshoot with the yellow exclamation mark.

When I troubleshoot, it tells me that it cannot find the driver to the printer, and goes into an endless troubleshooting loop trying to "fix" the printer (it won't find it even if I have the original HP installation CD in the drive).  When I press cancel, I can no longer print to the printer from any application.  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software twice.  Each time, the printer works for a few days, then prompts troubleshooting and then loses the printer. (again, I know the printer is established on the network since the Macs can still find it)

Please advise.  Thanks much in advance.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 8
1,537 1,533 81 399
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My guess is that the printer is changing it's iP address and the SW on your computers are having a difficult time keeping track of the change.

It's not unusual (or wrong) for the printer to be given different IP addresses from your wireless-router.  Since the wireless-rotuer "leases" IP addresses to devices on the network, if the lease expires when the printer is off, the wireless-router may assign the printer's old IP address to another device.

For your issue, lets try to fix the IP address assigned to your printer.  There are two methods to try.  The first  print our the C4780 Network Configuration Page and note the printer's IP address.

1) If your wireless-router supports it, make a DHCP reservation for your printer.  Depending on your wireless-router (btw -- what kind do you have), this may be easy to do and is the recommended option here.

2) Alternatively, you can make the existing IP address assigned to your printer "static".  On the C4780, the easiest way to do this is to open the printer's internal web page by browsing to the C4780's IP address.  From the web page, select Networking then Wireless (802.11) then IPv4 Configuration.

Select Manual IP and enter the printer's current IP address in the field plus an offset of plus or minus 20.  For example, if the current printer IP address is 192.168.x.100 or lower, then use 192.168.x.120.  If the printer's IP address is 192.168.x.200 or higher, then use 192.168.x.180.

For the subnet mask, enter 255.255.255.0.  Leave the default gateway IP address empty.

Select Manual DNS Server and leave those entries empty as well.

Now reinstall the SW (hopefully for the last time).

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey Jim - thanks so much for the quick response.

My router is a standard issue Verizon Fios router (Actiontec MI424-WR Rev.D)

let me know if I should proceed with step one or skip right to two.

If I make the IP address static, will I have to reinstall software on the Macs that are working as well?

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8
1,537 1,533 81 399
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't know your router that well.  At this site, I found several user manuals for the Fios Actiontec wireless-router.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find a revision D.

Lets do a modified step #2 to prevent having to reinstall the Mac SW:

2) Make the existing IP address assigned to your printer "static".  On the C4780, the easiest way to do this is to open the printer's internal web page by browsing to the C4780's IP address.  From the web page, select Networking then Wireless (802.11) then IPv4 Configuration.

• Select Manual IP and enter the printer's current IP address.
  • For the subnet mask, enter 255.255.255.0.  Leave the default gateway IP address empty.
  • Select Manual DNS Server and leave those entries empty as well.

Now reinstall the SW (hopefully for the last time).

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Great!  That seems to be working fine.
I'll give it a few days to make sure the network doesn't lose it again, but hopefully we're in the clear.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation