cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
SeeHim2 Tutor
Tutor
6 4 0 2
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

C6180 All-in-One An unexpected internal error has occurred when scanning

My C6180 was working perfectly for months on my PC with Vista Home Premium (x64), but all of the sudden I started having issues with it.  I've performed all the checks I could find on the support site and nothing has enabled me to be able to scan.  After deleting anything to do with HP and reloading the printer software (several times), I'm still getting the error message when I try to scan using the HP Solution Center:  "An unexpected internal error has occurred.  Click OK to close the program, and then do one of the following:

-Restart the program.

-Restart the PC and try again.

-Reinstall the Photo and Imaging Software and try again.

When I try from Windows Photo Gallery, it does scan, but I get an scanner failure error on the c6180 that says "unable to scan, copy or send a fax.  press OK".  Pressing OK, results in it shutting completely down. 

Scanning with Adobe Acrobat 9 is a complete disaster and requires that I unplug the all-in-one to get it to shut off. 

I've restarted all-in-one, pc.

I've manually checked USB

I've checked for updates on HP, Microsoft, and more.

Uninstalled and reinstalled many times

Turned off everything (except the all-in-one) on start up

These haven't worked.

I've also noticed a new problem reported on shutdown.  I get a notice that there's an error with "logtransport2.exe". 

12 REPLIES 12
Grad Student
Grad Student
274 271 6 18
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!

please try these steps:

•turn printer off / on

•do a semi-full reset on the printer:

•unplug power cord

•press and hold "#"  and "6"  keys simultaneously

•while pressing and holding those keys plug the power cord in

•semi-full reset should appear on the screen, if your printer will not turn on press the power button

(i may represent HP but this advice is solely my own)
SeeHim2 Tutor
Tutor
6 4 0 2
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Teacher (tinuwangiro)

I did the semi-full reset (turned it on while pressing # and 6).  The all-in-one responded correctly with the reset, but it still fails. 

I tried reloading the driver suite onto another computer and still got the same errors.  That computer had pretty much a clean load of Vista Ultimate.  This was driving me crazy so I did one more thing.

I disconnected everything from the printer and did the semi-full reset.  Then with nothing connected I tried to make a single copy and now I get an error from the printer itself that says it cannot scan, fax or copy.  It did make one copy...

It sounds like this all in one is toast.  Is there a "FULL" reset?

Cheers

0 Kudos
06440 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had exactly the same experience with a 3210xi all-in-one when running on Vista Ultimate, and I tried the solution offered.  Didn't work for me either. 

0 Kudos
saab Top Student
Top Student
5 3 0 0
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My C7180 was working perfectly for year  on my PC Asus with Windows Vista Ultimate(x32) until I decide upgrade Full Software and Drivers version 080.001.225.001.All was load in proper manner,I got Office center,Digital Imaging monitor and all working fine excl.scan.Any time when I try to scan using internal error occured.Click OK to close program and restart the program / done with no effect.

Restart PC /done with above.

Reinstall the Photo and Imaging Software/done several times and no effect.My nightmare start .I decide to back to first software CD disc and reloaded.But again I have that same message ,,internal error,,

Finally I call HP Support in Poland ( my english is not very well)and very nice person from technical support said that Windows update was in conflict with HP software and HP waiting from US HP team for update to resolve this problem,and now is still waiting for 2 month.When my PC was new and Windows was not load with updates installation CD HP software have no problems.Help,what I have to do,put my C7180 to bin.Printer,fax still working perfectly,problem is with SCAN only.I find similar problem ( post) with C6180 and advise was ,, do semi-full reset on the printer,, and I did the semi-full reset and error is still on the screen.

Today,6 of February 2010 I spend 8 hours with my friend ( very familiar with PC problems) to fix scan and internal error problem.No effect.I am totally devastate,what I can do more.I use scan to my work and I have give up ,because HP produce dud and rip off us.I left my post 3 days ago with no responce,with no help!!!!!!!!!

saab ( Christopher)

Saab
Saab
0 Kudos
taxcat Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have a 2575 and am experiencing the same problem trying to save and scan .pdf files.

I have had good responses from tech support, but it seems to come down to the HP software not supporting Adobe 9. None of the patches help. I've tried everything except uninstalling Adobe 9 and going back to an earlier version. Don't want to do that. Hope HP comes up with a solution so I can keep my all-in-one. I was going to upgrade to a new printer, but if this is a problem with the newer all-in-ones I'll just wait until the problem is solved.

0 Kudos
GAbthorpe Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 1
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Has anyone found a solution to this problem yet?  My system (windows Vista 64 and printer) were all working perfectly fine.

Does anyone know what happened? An update from somewhere that went awry?

The online tech took me through the standard fixes, but no joy.

gerronnimo Honor Student
Honor Student
4 4 0 0
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

(What was that?  Some kind of command line or other with < Spoiler> in it popped up for a second before I started writing.  OK - so I'm paranoid)

Yes.  C5280 has same problem.  Scanner failure error message.  Hit "OK" and nothing (window goes away).  Turned Scanner off and on.  Shut down and restarted computer.  Had All in One lock up at some point (would not shut down anymore).  So unplugged it.  Plugged back in and new errors are popping up on the computer screen saysing to check USB cables, etc.  Not communicating properly. 

Went to driver website - tried the driver check software - says I have the latest version (10.0.1).  Tried one unrelated fix for a separate issue (re-installing the printer after a move it asks for the original CD for installation.  You have to put it in and then it takes you to an HP online website with advertisements for other products)  Driver install failed (says it does not support any drivers or devices on my computer)

Called support.  Went through model number, serial number charade.  Described problem.  Was told that it is a HARDWARE failure and that is it no longer under warranty.  Was offerred to buy a replacement with half off deal, with trade in of the old one.  (More expensive model takes more cartridges / said no).

Now very angry.  HP has sold out?  I know times are tough.  Don't cannabilize your loyal customers!!!

0 Kudos
equanimity Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I started out with this same error message: An unexpected internal error has occurred, plus the recommended fixes indicated on the page.

After trying all these recommended fixes, searching many websites and trying MANY other potential fixes, I ended up with a new problem on top of this one, the drivers attempting to install twice.

Before trying the following, I checked to make certain the scanner was working by using the Windows Fax and Scan wizard to be certain I had a software and not hardware problem. It worked perfectly but fewer options than the HP Software provides.

Continuing to search for a fix -- I found this page: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01902598   

The generic page (not specific to model C6180) is here:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01902598

Problem title/potential solution: "Printer connected with USB cable repeatedly attempts to install in Windows Vista."

There's a link on this page to a critical update which was extremely difficult to find: "Critical Update to Enhance Reliability of Network and USB Connectivity and Improve System Responsiveness While Printing". It also was not related to the original "An unexpected error" problem. This link also takes you to the page for the most current Printer Bundle for your operating system on the same page. In viewing their uses, the other update I thought might be helpful was the newest HP Software Update Utility.

I downloaded the newest HP Printer Bundle, and each of these updates in preparation for re-installation plus fixes.

I followed  the EXACT instructions for uninstall, plus doing a search and removing any HP shortcuts. I had not previously known to remove the contents of the temp file, and on reinstall, had not temporarily turned of all startup programs (except microsoft) as detailed.

After completing these steps, I did the reinstall of the printer bundle. I checked to see if the scanner worked at that point. I again received the error: "An unexpected internal error has occurred".

I then proceeded with the "Critical Update to Enhance Reliability of Network and USB Connectivity" I had downloaded, and "voila" the scanner came up and WORKED! NO MORE ERRORS!

I also installed the HP Software Update - enhanced version, then returned the computer to "Normal Startup" by following the last steps of the instructions above.

Everything worked perfectly after several computer restarts -- Just to Make SURE it wasn't a fluke!

HOPE THIS HELPS some of you with this same error. GOOD LUCK!

0 Kudos
gerronnimo Honor Student
Honor Student
4 4 0 0
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I_ think _ I _ would _ rather _attempt _ surgery _ on _ myself _ with _ a _ butter _ knife rather than try to follow those instructions, and un-install, reinstall, turn off, turn on, delete, etc. everything that you mention in the EXACT proper way (like trying to dance your way to a magical kingdom of flying faeries).

OK - what if I tried using another program to scan with, and it still gave me an error instead of scanning?  I guess my scanner really is toast after all. 

I checked at Best Buy - they will take it and ship it to their tech guys somewhere out of the store (the magical kingdom?) for $35 bucks and see if they can fix it.  If they can, the $35 goes towards the cost (Unless I say it's too much - as in "more than the cost of the danged all-in-one printer-scanner" and they keep my $35.)  And if they cannot fix it, they give me back the snaffued machine un-fixed and the $35. 

Which leads me to the "buyer's remorse" (intentional? - no doubt) that I did not get the #$%^ extra - nifty extended warranty from Best Buy for $25!  They want me to feel guilty about THAT!?  So I can happily take my McDonald's-toy-quality printer back to them and get a NEW one of the same model?  For another $25 I shouldn't have had to pay in the first place? 

LOOK.  If its not going to work for more than, oh, say ten years, don't sell it.  Plastic take a LOT longer than that to rot out of the landfill.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation