Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Student
Message 1 of 9 (2,890 Views)

C7280 Installation problems

Trying to add a C7280 to our current network.  Our operating system is XP SP3.   We currently have two printers connected to a desktop, router and a wireless laptop.   Our hope was to connect the C7280 wireless our network and replace the two printers.   We walked through the setup instructions step by step and the printer connected successfully to our network.   The problem is that while installing the software on both the desktop and the laptop, neither found the printer.   Our firewall was off on both and our antivirus - Bitdefender was also disabled during installation.   I have tried all the troubleshooting advice in the manual and online.  Serenity now...serenity now.   Any suggestions would be appreciated.  
0 Kudos
Teacher
Message 2 of 9 (2,769 Views)

Re: C7280 Installation problems

hello there,

just a suggestion though,

both the cd and the downloaded software has netdevicemanager folder inside the setup folder.

now when you get to the point where it says "no printer found" , just leave it open.

now go to services (click start and then click run, type services.msc and click ok).

look for the hp network device discovery and stop it.

go to the setup folder of the software, look for the netdevicemanager folder and open it.

look for the msi file, right click on it, and then click uninstall.

right click again on the msi file and click install.

go back to the services window and start the hp network device discovery.

go back to the installation and try to look for the printer again.

keep me posted please.

Professor
Message 3 of 9 (2,762 Views)

I'm curious about a few things:

1. Can you ping the printer's IP address from your desktop and laptop?
  2. Can you browse the printer's internal web page? 

This will check if the printer is on the network and accessible from your computers.
Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Honor Student
Message 4 of 9 (2,521 Views)

I have tried to ping the printer's IP address and it times out. Still having problems finding the printer. I have had this working for awhile now and all of a sudden the printer could not be found so i uninstalled and reinstalled the software. Unfortunately I removed the printer from my printer list when before i uninstalled so i cannot see the port.

I tried doing all the suggestions with Mcafee, i am on XP with service pack 3. Any more advice?

Professor
Message 5 of 9 (2,470 Views)

We have to figure out why your computer can't communicate to the printer -- so I have a few more questions:

1. What kind of wireless-router are you using?
  2. What is the wireless network's SSID?
  3. Are you running encryption (WEP, WPA-PSK, none)?
  4. What is the IP address of your printer and your computers that you're trying to install SW on?
  5. From the front panel, please press the <setup> + <#> keys together. This will generate a connectivity diagnostic report. Please scan the report and email it to me to the email address on my profile above (click on Wi-Fi-Guy) to get my email address.
Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Honor Student
Message 6 of 9 (2,457 Views)

you have to established first a connection between you printer and router!click setup button from the printer,press on the arrow button and look for network press ok and look for wireless setup wizard and press ok..it would try to search for the network if it will find your network name or ssid press ok and then it would ask your wep or wpa security key.type your security key and press ok wait for the message CONNECTED..if so just print network configuration page or display wireless summary and look for the ip address.you can find the display wireless summary when you press>setup>network>view network settings>

open internet explorer and in the address bar just type the ip address and if it will display the printer information so that means that you have already establish a connection between your printer and router and try to search for the printer again in the installation windowSmiley Tongue 

Honor Student
Message 7 of 9 (2,436 Views)

Thanks for responding!

I am using a modem/router supplied by my cable company. it is an Ambit Broadband (DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 compliant)

SSID is the user name we gave the network 'lz2sfm'.

Running WEP

IP the printer has is 192.168.0.13, the computer I am trying to access is using 192.168.0.5

The printer has never had a problem getting a wireless connection and i have used it frequently over the past year. The only change is that we added digital phone service from our cable company and they changed the modem/router to accomodate.  We also had to set up the IP address manually for each computer connecting wirelessly. Not sure why as I thought DHCP would take care of the IP addressing. I am sending you a copy of the configuration.

Thanks again

Honor Student
Message 8 of 9 (1,990 Views)

Hi : I have been battling to install the software for a C7280 and have tried a number of solutions.  One path was to install only the basic drivers and to set up a static address for the printer.  My DHCP pool went to 139 so I set a static address on the printer of 10.0.0.150. I then loaded the basic drivers only. I could do Webscan but not the other scanning features.

Then I unloaded the software ( Who has not!) and reinstalled the full suite from the download version on the web(100_228_PS_AIO_02)Full_net_enu.exe).

I have Norton 360 so I found the printer IP and set it to Trusted.

During the install it found the printer and said it was ok.  When I ran Imaging Monitor; it said it was closing down because there was no printer found! (Who has not seen this! )

Then I decided to add the printer I had just installed.  I found this option on the CD. The Autorun of the CD give a button that says add printer.  It displayed the C7280 and a C4385 that I have on the network too.  I added the C7280 and REBOOTED the computer.  It came up and run just fine.  

I then said "What the heck" and add the C4385 and it worked too.

Son now I will see what happens.

Regents Professor
Message 9 of 9 (1,975 Views)

Don'y forget to install the Critical Update to correct a printer to PC communication issue for better results. You'll find it under the Software and Drivers section for your C7280 on hp.com.
I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation