Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Student
Message 1 of 5 (1,616 Views)

C8180 Improper shutdown

My Photosmart C8180 shuts down and reboots intermittently and I get the error message "improper shutdown". How can I fix this?

0 Kudos
Student
Message 2 of 5 (1,548 Views)

Re: C8180 Improper shutdown

I am having the same problem!  The printer test page prints fine and sometimes you can print one page, but it seems to be more of a problem when trying to print multiple pages.  The printer just shuts down on its own.  I've double checked all the cords, plug-ins etc. and reconnected my wireless to my computer thinking it was a miscommunication with the network, but the problem persists!!  Can anyone at HP shed some light?

Student
Message 3 of 5 (1,447 Views)

My C8180 I currently own, and the hp printer I had prior, both do the same thing. I called hp about it and they tried to sell me a brand new printer for more that Amazon sells them. My printer is two months out of warranty. They admitted that there is a firmware problem and said normally they would replace the printer, but there is nothing they can do because it is out of warranty. I tried to talk to a supervisor about it because it is not a wear problem, it is an "it's not well designed" problem. He offered to match Amazon's price and offer a three year warranty for $1. I asked to speak to a manager and they set up an appointment for the next evening. Guess what? They never called! After tonight, I am starting a "Truth about HP" campaign on every social network I am on as well as email and word of mouth. HP does not back their products and are difficult to deal with. Let’s all try an Epson! 

Vik: Tech Support

Marvin: Supervisor

Manager: Now Show (Missed 5 pm 4/1/2011 call)

Ticket No: 8049010371

Student
Message 4 of 5 (1,411 Views)

I just solved the same problem by replacing all 4 capacitors on the power board with higher capacity ones capable of handeling higher temperatures.  As it turned out all 4 were defective after limited use of 1.5 years.  I was able to find a TV repair shop that works on printer power supplies to make the repair costing $79.

Tutor
Message 5 of 5 (918 Views)

Henia,

That's what I heard on a nother forum.  I am going to take my C8180 apart today and check the caps on the power supply.  I read either the green or purple will be blistered and or swollen.  I am hoping to get replacements at Radio Shack or online electronics store and do teh job for a lot less than $80.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation