cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
jc9542
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

CM4540 MFP Tray Empty Alert

HP Recommended
CM4540 MFP
Other

I'm trying to configure email alerts for several of our printers.  We've had SMTP active for awhile, which has been working.  I've sent out test SMTP and alert emails which go out successfully.  However, when I empty out all the trays, I never get an email alert.  I don't see much that needs to be configured other than SMTP settings, the destination address, and selecting the alert.  Is there something I'm missing?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
SHThompson
Level 12
3,729 3,679 305 669
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Just curious, are you printing until the tray is empty or are you just pulling the paper out of it?

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
jc9542
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I pulled the paper out, but printing it empty sounds like a good test as well.

0 Kudos
jc9542
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks that worked.  I was hoping to be able to generate alerts when a printer is close to out of paper or when it runs out before the next job arrives; but this is better than not knowing.

0 Kudos
SHThompson
Level 12
3,729 3,679 305 669
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Unfortunately with HP printers there is no warning for paper low.

I highly recommend buying models that you can get extra trays for then you can get an alert when one runs out and still continue printing. Another advantage of extra trays is that if one fails you can just take the paper out of it and use the other tray.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

0 Kudos
jc9542
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

These are multiple tray models.  Four 500-sheet trays IIRC.  The problem being is that there's no alert triggered if the last sheet in all the trays is used,  unless there are more pending jobs in the queue.  For now I've asked our Tier 1 printer guys to just check WJA a couple of times a day.  It's a pretty silly setup.  No support for paper alerts for this model in WJA and no alerts unless a job asks for more paper. 

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation