Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Folks
I agree with all that posted about HP printing products lacking quality and honesty . My office jet is 3 months new and I cannot print due to needing color ink. I also print in black only. No wonder HP was pulled from the Dow averages and the company is tanking. Not only will I be trashing my new printer I will be selling the few shares of HP that I bought when HP was a good company. VERY SAD!!!
HP Recommended

Hello,

I am not satisfied with the response you've given about the color ink depleting over time. As I mentioned in my first comment, EVEN IF "print in black ink only" is selected, if I try to print a document such as a map from maps.google.com, it will print in color. Thus, I can only assume that it is using color ink to print "print in black ink only" documents. Can you explain this error, or produce a driver that solves this issue?

I DO understand that color ink cartridges will very very slowly deplete as necessary to keep them ready for use, as the document you attached explains. I DON'T understand why the color cartridges are used when the "print in black ink only" option is selected ... this causes the color cartridges to deplete much more rapidly and require replacement much more frequently.

Thanks for your time.

HP Recommended

I just purchased the HP 6600 in July, 2013. I have only printed in gray scale since purchasing printer, but yellow and magenta ink need to be replaced anyways?? After reading all of the complaints on here I understand the problem. HP printers are a rip off and what their doing is illegal and I am shocked HP hasn't offered to replace or refund these printers. [Content Removed]

Deceived Customer,

HP Recommended

I share the frustration of the people who have posted feeling scammed that this 6600 HP printer uses color ink even when I've specified black ink only. That is something that should be made clear to the consumer at the outset, and it was not. I have literally never been so disappointed in a product in my life. I don't print very much, but it seems I need new cartridges every month or so--and not just the black ones. Alll I wanted to do this morning was print five pages of a report. After literally 40 minutes of putting in and taking out cartridges, waiting for the chugging printer to verify them, only to find that all of the colors were depleted, and that I could not use the device using the multiple backup black cartridges I had bought to be sure that I did not run out when I truly needed them, as I need them now, I am beyond frustrated. I now have no choice but to toss this thing and buy another printer--and it certainly will not be an HP. This was such a scam, and such a waste of money, that I will never buy an HP product again. 

HP Recommended

Can I print in black ink only on an Officejet 6600/6700? How would I do this?

HP Recommended

Hello

All cartridges must be installed for the printer to operate, and they must have sufficient ink for servicing, in order to prevent the printhead from drying out.

Printer will put a small amount of color as a underlay before the black.

Here is a url for setting the printer preferences.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03773211

If you need more assistance just let me know.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
I have tried everything and it has been confirmed that this printer will not print, even just greyscale if one of the color cartridges is empty. Need to print a black and white document. I have a new black ink cartridge and can't print because I'm out of yellow ink! This is UNACCEPTABLE! There is no excuse for a company like HP to do this. They are leaving customers stranded with no ability to print important documents till they spend more $ on their cartridges. Going to smash the printer and will NEVER EVER buy any product associated with HP ever again. To hell with HP. I'm done with them! Inexcusable. Shame on you!!!!!!!
HP Recommended

RIP OFF!!!

We bought this printer because it was advertised has 'one of the most economical multi-ink printers available'

It's costing us a fortune, with a 4-ink XL cartridge pack costing over UK£50.00 a time!

We print a LOT of online order details - all in black only, set to 'draft' - yet we're on our second full set of XL cartridges in just over a month!

Disgusting!!!!

Simon

HP Recommended

As an ex HP employee, this is an embarrassment.  I bought an OJ6600 for my mother and she called me about this problem.  She only uses the product as a (black) photo copier.  When I got to this forum and see this moronic response from HP, I am stunned.  If I want to pull the color cartiges and print in black only that should be my peragative.  That said, I know printer ink is the life blood of HP.  Now they feel that they have the right to shake down their customers to buy more ink.

I will probably throw this one in the land fill and buy a printer from someone else and confirm that the printer will work in black only. 

HP, shame on you for stooping this low.

HP Recommended

Like a prior customer. 6600 going in trash. Never buy another HP. Wont print black only. Rip off.

@designswest wrote:
DATL, yours won't be alone. Mine is hitting the trash tomorrow also. I can only hope that I can list this as a loss on my taxes this year. Last purchase I EVER make from HP.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.