Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Agree with other responses..

this seems to be a money maker situation by HP....ridiculous!!!!

HP Recommended

I think not...I have tried...third HP printer...it mixes the other colors in - I have it set on black ink only from the computer setting and it uses my color ink...What a fraud..never buy an HP...I will not.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

HP - This stinks. I have an Officejet Pro 8600 Plus and I'm having to replace all 3 of my color cartridges when I've only ever printed black and white. I'm not happy. And I'm never buying another HP printer, calculator, computer, camera or anything else unless I get some form of workaround. Count me out of the people that believe the nonsense of "it takes the full color spectrum to make black."

I've been a big fan for 30 years. You lost me. Want to win me back? Offer me a fix for this idiotic problem at no charge to me and all the other 8600 users and I'll get back on board. Otherwise, you know what you can do with your future products.

Unhappy in Texas.

HP Recommended

I have a HP1210 ALL IN ONE ,I am just using a black cartridge without the colour inserted , the red light does blink to check cartridges but it prints anyway with no problems.

HP Recommended

I agree with the majority of the comments.

Saying you need color to print black is a joke.  As far as Im concerned, this is criminal activity.  Extortion.  I dont care if its not "perfect" black.  When my business gets stopped for such a rediculious reason.

And dont tell me to stock extra cartridges. If someone forgets to mark its used and needs more purchased, once again business is stopped.

IMHO, there should be a class action lawsuite against any printer company that cripples ones printer for this reason.

I will never buy HP product again.

In my case HP Office"doesnt"jet 6600.

HP Recommended

I feel your pain too.

I suspect that when the printer driver detects a gray color like from a scanned document, it uses color ink catdridges.

I have an Officejet 6500 and the driver lets me select "print grayscale in black ink only"

HP Recommended

There is a solution that may apply to various models.

First, the main reason color is used is to make sure the color jets are functional if needed. Most color inkjets do this. It's a trade-off to run an inkjet with separate inks if only needing b & w. Could an alternati ve be engineered if desired? Probably.

One solution is to wire or wire tape together the sensor and spring on the pcb for the printhead assemply. Try searching for this.

HP Recommended

mine wont print at all without cyan any ideas

HP Recommended

After owning a HP all in one printer for less than two years (and swearing every time I had to buy colored ink), the ink began to leak onto the paper.   My husband is a mechanic, so we took it apart and found ink everywhere and no way to fix it.    I bought a inkjet Express M2825DW from Samsung to replace it.   By shopping around I found one for a bit over $100, and with ink prices significantly less, I figure it will pay for itself in about a year.  Prints lots faster too!

Another problem we had with HP recently was when my  husband tried to reinstall his well running three year old HP on a new computer (old printer was MAC, and new one was Windows).  Since HP said they no longer offered the install program due to the age of the device, they offered him a new all in one at a slight discount. So now we use his all in one for occasional fax or color print and the Samsung for 99.9% of our printing.

Shame on you HP.  You are making a ton of money on ink and inferior products, but what is the long term cost of allienating your customers.   There is no part of running my small business that is more irritating than this.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.