Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

About 3 weeks ago, ran in to a problem that I can print correctly on HP 8500, but can not scan (just get a message that the scanner has reported an error - but no code). I then moved to the HP 4500 G510n, and get the same error, so I assume that the problem relates to software on my MacBook Pro (Siera 10.12.4) rather than with the printers. I assume this is due to HP software rather an Mac software, but I could be wrong.

When I try to scan from the printer, I get a message that there are "no scan options set".

I have deleted the driver and all HP software, and re-installed (several times), but still have the problem. Actions included deleting the printer and re-installing, deleting all items in the HP printer file, and deleting the HP scan software. No luck.

I think I need confirmation that the problem is likely HP software, and then the proper procedure to remove and re-install the software.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I did some more "playing around" after posting the first message. I found that if I go to "System Preferences" and then "Printer/Scanner", and do a scan from that page, I can scan a document from the scanner. However when I try to use the Scan button on the printer, I get the "No Scan Options" message, and when I try "HP Easy Scan" I get the message that the "Scanner Reported an Error", and there is not communications with the scanner.

HP Recommended

@PorscheHabart

This is a great location to get assistance! I read your post and see that you are getting issues with scanning on HP Officejet 4500 printer and HP Officejet 8500 printer. I would like to help you resolve this issue. 

• Restart devices and check driver scan settings.
  • Check the network and printer connection status.
  • Check third-party firewall software settings.
  • Remove and re-add the printer.
  • Uninstall and reinstall the printer driver and software.
  • Reset the print system.

Click here and refer the document for further troubleshooting steps.

These steps should fix issues with both the printers.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers,

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.