Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Tutor
Message 1 of 3 (1,033 Views)
Accepted Solution

Can't get OfficeJet 6000 installation to complete on Vista

I'm trying to install the OfficetJet 6000 driver on my up-to-date Vista laptop. Every time I run the installer I tells me early in the process that it sees the remnants of an earlier installation and that it will have to remove it. I say ok. It goes on for a while, and then tells me it needs tor restart the computer to complete the process. After the restart, it automatically starts and goes through exactly the same steps - tells me it sees an earlier installation, then it needs to restart, then again... This happens over and over again, with no change.

I have tried this with my installer from the CD, and with three different installers I have downloaded from the HP site for the HPOJ 6000 (regular, basic, and corporate). Exact same results. I have used the "scrubber" program, both from the CD and from the HP site, to remove all traces, but the same thing happens when I then run any of the installers again. I also tried system restore but that didn't seem to help.

Any way to REALLY scrub out all bits from a prior HP installation? Any way to get the installer to ignore the prior installation and just install?

Alternatively, is there any way I can print to this printer (over the network) without having installed the HP installer? Is there some set of files I can copy from another successfully installed Vista computer?

Thanks. I've never had such a difficult installation for a printer! -Steve

0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Re: Can't get OfficeJet 6000 installation to complete on Vista

Hey, thanks for all the help! Smiley Happy Just kidding.  Smiley Happy

Anyway - I tried the stuff in the link above, and it didn't seem to work. But then I tried again, carefully doing everything that was listed in the first section, plus I did some noodling around in RedEdit and got rid of some other Hewlett-Packard stuff - and then the install went fine!

So, if anyone else has a similar problem, it *is* a matter of getting rid of stuff. I cleaned out all the files in the system I could find, plus pretty much everything in the registry that had the term "Hewlett" in it.

Good luck if you have the problem, it sure is frustrating. -Steve

View solution in context
Tutor
Message 2 of 3 (1,015 Views)

Found some stuff here about uninstalling HP stuff, I'm going to try some of it out.

http://www.out-of-warranty.com/three-ways-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-hp

Any other ideas?

Thanks. -Steve

Tutor
Message 3 of 3 (983 Views)

Hey, thanks for all the help! Smiley Happy Just kidding.  Smiley Happy

Anyway - I tried the stuff in the link above, and it didn't seem to work. But then I tried again, carefully doing everything that was listed in the first section, plus I did some noodling around in RedEdit and got rid of some other Hewlett-Packard stuff - and then the install went fine!

So, if anyone else has a similar problem, it *is* a matter of getting rid of stuff. I cleaned out all the files in the system I could find, plus pretty much everything in the registry that had the term "Hewlett" in it.

Good luck if you have the problem, it sure is frustrating. -Steve

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation