Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4500 wireless printer
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

This printer copies fine. When I try to scan a document into my pc, printer screen says: Make sure "Scan to Computer is On" I'm not sure how to check that and can't get it to scan? Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @girliegirl2012.

Thanks for posting, and Welcome to the HP Community! :cathappy:

I understand you are having an issue scanning form the front panel on your HP ENVY 4500 e-All-in-One printer to your Windows 8 computer. I'd love to help you with this.

Firstly, you'll need to have the full feature software for your printer installed on your Windows 8 computer. You can download and install the HP Software here - HP ENVY 4500 e-All-in-One Printer series Full Feature Software and Drivers

HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads 

Once the software is installed on the Windows 8 computer. You should have an icon on your Desktop for the HP ENVY 4500 Series. (If you don't have the icon on your Desktop, just go to your start screen and start typing "HP Envy" and it should come up)

Here are the steps to enable Scan to Computer:

1. Double click the icon on your desktop for the HP ENVY 4500 series. The printer assistant will open.
  2. Under Scan, select Scan to Computer.
  3. If scan to computer is already enabled. Select disable, and then enable again.
  4. Retry the scan from the printer.

Note: You can also just start the scan from your computer as well. The printer assistant will give you more options to customize your scan.

If the scan to computer will not enable, or if it still doesn't work after being enabled, try doing a network power reset. Let's leave the router on and unplug the power cable (NOTE: Do not reset the router.), then do the same with the printer, and shut down the computer. After a full minute, plug the router back in, wait for it to fully power up, then plug the printer back in and wait for the wireless light to become solid. Once both the router and printer are on, go ahead and turn the computer back on. Doing this will refresh the network connection.

Please respond to let me know if this helped resolve your issue.

Have a fantastic day.

:cathappy:

HeyListen
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello @girliegirl2012.

Thanks for posting, and Welcome to the HP Community! :cathappy:

I understand you are having an issue scanning form the front panel on your HP ENVY 4500 e-All-in-One printer to your Windows 8 computer. I'd love to help you with this.

Firstly, you'll need to have the full feature software for your printer installed on your Windows 8 computer. You can download and install the HP Software here - HP ENVY 4500 e-All-in-One Printer series Full Feature Software and Drivers

HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads 

Once the software is installed on the Windows 8 computer. You should have an icon on your Desktop for the HP ENVY 4500 Series. (If you don't have the icon on your Desktop, just go to your start screen and start typing "HP Envy" and it should come up)

Here are the steps to enable Scan to Computer:

1. Double click the icon on your desktop for the HP ENVY 4500 series. The printer assistant will open.
  2. Under Scan, select Scan to Computer.
  3. If scan to computer is already enabled. Select disable, and then enable again.
  4. Retry the scan from the printer.

Note: You can also just start the scan from your computer as well. The printer assistant will give you more options to customize your scan.

If the scan to computer will not enable, or if it still doesn't work after being enabled, try doing a network power reset. Let's leave the router on and unplug the power cable (NOTE: Do not reset the router.), then do the same with the printer, and shut down the computer. After a full minute, plug the router back in, wait for it to fully power up, then plug the printer back in and wait for the wireless light to become solid. Once both the router and printer are on, go ahead and turn the computer back on. Doing this will refresh the network connection.

Please respond to let me know if this helped resolve your issue.

Have a fantastic day.

:cathappy:

HeyListen
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended
Thank you! You helped me with the same problem I was having on a different series of HP Envy All-in-One Printer! You're terrific!
HP Recommended

My printer prints and copies. When I open the printer assistant and go to "scan a document or photo" to open the scan dialogue,  the link, the link hightlights, but nothing happens. I have unplugged and replugged everything, and used the "scan doctor" Any further suggestions?

HP Recommended

I fixed it myself. After looking more on the internet, ran across a suggestion to run "services.msc" and stop and restart "windows image acquisition (wia)" and be sure it was set to "automatic" Note that this is where the scanner doctor had stopped.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.