cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
dmeans43
Level 1
5 2 1 0
Message 1 of 16
Flag Post

Solved!

Can't keep wireless all-in-one on line?

HP Recommended

We have a c7250 printer that we like a lot except for one thing.  We can't keep the wireless connection active.  The printer sits just about 6 feet away from the router.  We print to it from our wireless HP Vista laptop and from our wired HP p6347c desktop.

Why do I have reload printer drivers a couple of times a week and both computers so I can get a print?

I almost never bother rebooting the computers or the router because in the end it's going to come down to reloading the drivers??

Any ideas?

Don

0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
PrintDoc
Retired
Retired
20,467 20,434 1,425 4,887
Message 2 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Tell me about your network - router brand/model, encryption type (WEP, WPA, etc) and ISP type (DSL, Cable, etc).

Have you set a static IP address for the printer?

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
0 Kudos
dmeans43
Author
Level 1
5 2 1 0
Message 3 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The router comes with Verizon's 1Gig DSL.  It is an 'Actiontec' GT704WG.  I followed the setup outlined in the printer setup instructions.  The security is WEP.  Other than following the directions; how do I setup a static ip?

Thanks

0 Kudos
PrintDoc
Retired
Retired
20,467 20,434 1,425 4,887
Message 4 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Rented DSL modem/routers are problematic when it comes to HP wireless printers (not just the C7250), especially Actiontec routers.  Also, WEP is no longer secure. It can be broken in about 10 minutes with freeware.  Please switch to WPA or WPA2 with a strong 13+ character passphrase to make your connections more reliable and your network more secure.

The following procedure is effective for connecting HP wireless printers (not just your C7250) to the wireless network of many rented DSL modem/routers .  Please try it:

- Unplug the telephone line from the router
- Turn the power off on the router, wait 30 seconds, then turn the power back on.
- Go through the normal process of connecting the printer to the router.
- Now find the IP address of the printer (it should be on the self-test printout), type it into a browser.
- On that screen you will find a Networking Tab, then on the left Wireless, then the IPv4 Tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you know what that is, set an IP outside that range but no higher than 254 (the last number in the address). If you do not know, use the current IP address.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Leave the gateway and DNS blank.  This is important.  Click 'Apply'
- Finally, plug in the phone line, reboot the router and test.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
dmeans43
Author
Level 1
5 2 1 0
Message 5 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I guess I shouldn't be embarrassed because I retired out of desktop support over 10 years ago from the Boeing company.  Although wireless was available some places it hadn't come to the airplane company yet.

All I had to do was follow your instruction on creating a 'static ip' ta-ta; my our c7250 HP printer now stays on line inspite of the funky router.

Thanks again;

dmeans43:smileyhappy:

0 Kudos
dc_ct
1 1 0 1
Message 6 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How do you set-up a static IP address on your C7250?

dc_ct

DexterM
Level 10
4,502 4,478 304 1,048
Message 7 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Press Setup>Network Settings>Advanced Setup>IP Settings>Manual.
I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
0 Kudos
gallee
2 1 0 0
Message 8 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Return the printer to the store you bought it from. I have the same problem on my C309g. HP created the problem in the first place because they can't/won't use the standard windows printer interface. HP has consistently ignored this issue for a long time. It's especially irritating because you paid extra for the Wireless so that it would be easier to setup and use. Look, whatever HP *used* to be, they aren't anymore. Dave is rolling over in his grave at what they've become (we have the seismic equipment to prove it). So the only way you are going to get them to fix it permanently is for all of us to send them a message through their pocketbook. Take it back.

0 Kudos
cconlopz
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't know if its an "on line" issue.  I just can't print wirelessly.  My laptop and wireless printer were working fine and now I can't print.  I tried the chat support but that was useless and I still can't print.  Every time I check the printer que its says it's offline.  I change it to online but still won't print. HELP!

0 Kudos
bass1120
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

every other day, i my printer is offline.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation